Old Hales dig in for 2nd win of season

Old Halesonians 34 - Newport 16

Last Updated: Sep 15, 2013 09:22pm
Hagley, Bromsgrove
By Simon Hussey
Share |

Old Halesonians first team again entered the unknown against a Newport team who have spent 7 years at National 3 level. 

The first home fixture at this level for Hales saw a large crowd see the home side come out of the  blocks at full tilt.

Immediate pressure and ferocious tackling from the home side saw the forwards driving hard for a pushover try after 8 minutes by second row Dan Grant, converted by Hooper 7 - Nil.

The pressure continued with Newport surprised by the initial onslaught of the home team. Backs and forwards continually probing the visitors half. 

On 20 minutes, pressure forced a penalty for Hales on the opposition 22 which looked an easy 3 points but scrum half Nathan Jones quickly fed prop and skipper Rich Taylor who drove for a try, converted by Hooper 14 - Nil.

Hales seemed on a role and after 25 mins the possession from forward work by Dempsey, Jordan and Young made impressions on the visitors defence. 

Hales backs still looked dangerous having lost centre Andy Robinson through injury.  Pete Clifford came in from the wing and broke through the opposition for an excellent individual try, converted by Hooper to lead 21 - Nil.

Newport fought back to force a penalty, 21 - 3, and really started to find their way with two unconverted tries in close proximity with missed tackles by the home side leaving the half time score at 21 - 13.

At half time it seemed Newport were to come back into the game and indeed they worked hard to camp on the Hales line for a period of time, resulting in probably 20 minutes of continued defence by the home side in which they prevented the opposition from scoring.

This defence by Hales was to be a defining factor in this victory. Hales fought back with brilliant running drives by man of the match, Loz Breeze, which resulted in 2 penalties by the mercurial Chris Hooper at full back whose goal kicking was immaculate to lead 27 -13.

At 77 minutes pressure again by the home forwards saw Powell receive a ball from Jones, he dummied and broke the Newport line for a fine individual try, converted by Hooper 34 - 13.

Newport had a consolation penalty for a home victory and bonus point to Hales 34 - 16.

Hales meet Nuneaton away in the next league game on 21 September with an earlier kick off of 2pm Saturday 14th September 2013


Dudley Kingswinford 2nds  19pts    Old Halesonians 2nds 36pts     Report by Dan Hunt 

Old Hales 2nds started their league campaign with fine victory over close neighbours Dudley Kingswinford 2nds.

Early pressure from DK paid off when Old Hales lost control of the ball from a ruck close to their own line, allowing a DK playerto pounce on the ball for an opening try.

Old Hales came back powerfully and from a DK scum close to their own line, Old Hales flanker, Pete Lewis, pressurised the DKscrum half into a mistake and dived on the ball to score the visitor’s first try. Scrum half, Sam Vaughan, added the conversion. Continued pressure from Old Hales forced the home side to give away a penalty that Sam Vaughan duly slotted over.

From another Old Hales attack, Dave Wakefield received the ball 25 metres out; he slipped into top gear and headed for the line,beating three defenders before scoring close to the posts to allow Vaughan to add the conversion.

Dave Wakefield was in the action once again when he collected the ball in his own half; he made good ground before offloading to the ever present Pete Lewis. Lewis broke through the DK defence before passing to Andy Holloway, who outpaced thecover defence to score. Sam Vaughan added the extras to establish a 24-5 lead.

Old Hales were in the ascendancy now and from a ruck Tom Harris linked well with Pete Lewis, who surged forward before releasing impressive centre, Andy Holloway, to make his way to the line for his second try of the afternoon. Once again Vaughan added the conversion.

The visitor’s fifth try came from a good run down the left flankby second row Jake Harley-Yeadon. The DK cover defence momentarily halted the attack only for Old Hales flanker, Ben Perks, to take the ball from the breakdown and race over for an unconverted try in the corner.

DK rallied and fought back in the last quarter, scoring a try from 40 metres out. The final try of the game was scored by the speedy DK centre who scythed through the Old Hales defence to race 70metres to make the final score 36-19 to Old Hales.

Old Hales scorers: Tries: Pete Lewis, Dave Wakefield, Andy Holloway (2), Ben Perks.

Penalties: Sam Vaughan.   Conversions: Sam Vaughan (4).


Old Halesonians 3rds  24pts Warley 2nds  8pts    Report by Craig Jukes

Tries – Gareth Price, Christopher Poole and Jamie Leech X2

Conversions – Gareth Price X2

Man of the match –Tom Shakespear

The original fixture was meant to be with DK in the league but unfortunately, they failed to field a team and had to cancel late into the week so we claimed the game as a win.

Our fixture secretary Martin Head proceeded to arrange for a friendly fixture against Warley RFC 2nd team, for which we are grateful to them for accepting.

The 3pm kick off was followed by a 15 minute dead lock before full back Gareth Price opened the scoring for Old Hales, rounding off a good passing move after a strong forwards push. Warley converted a well taken penalty for 3 points shortly after. Old Hales Scrum half and one of the star men of the game, TomShakespear, got caught at the bottom of a ruck and had to receive treatment and left the team with 14 men for around 10 minutes and although down to 10 men and under pressure, Old Hales managed to keep Warley from scoring. Jamie Leech Scored the 1st of his two tries after a quickly taken penalty on the opposite flank found its way to the left winger, strong running allowed Jamie to shrug off multiple tackles and roll the last tackle to place the ball narrowly over the try line.


After half time Jamie leech scored his 2nd try under the posts after a good hands move again involving all of the backs gave him room to easily convert with passing options either side. Warley then hit back with a try of their own after a period of pressure. Front row Christopher Poole finished the Old Hales scoring in the corner just 3 minutes after Warley went over the line. Again, good hands out wide gave us the space we needed to get our 4th and last try. Gareth Price converted 2 of the 4 trys, AndyTromans shared the kicking responsibilities from penalties and kick offs to great effect.


Joint Captains, Craig Jukes and Tony Shaw where left with a bare 15 players who managed a 24-8 victory, which on the day was a good reflection of the overall performance of the players that took to Warley.



Old Yardleians 4ths 24pts v Old Halesonians 4ths  19pts

Repprt by Dan Taylor.                       Old Hales 4ths looked to have this game in the bag, leading 19-17 in the latter stages of the game. However, Old Yardleians had other ideas and the home side’s speedy youngsters combined well to score a converted try in the last few minutes of the game to secure a 24-19 home victory.


blog comments powered by Disqus