Old Hales Maintain Top Spot

Old Hales 25 South Leicester 11

Last Updated: Oct 20, 2013 08:57pm
Hagley, Bromsgrove
By John Clark
Share |

The week started with front row concerns with Dempsey unavailable and Fitzgerald struggling to make the line up.

Jon Deeks took loose head in the wake of the Birmingham half marathon a day later and Sam Jones with broken nose ready to give his all.

That's what happened as Hales took it to the one dimensional Neanderthals of South Leicester who were fairly devoid of common sense

However, after 6 minutes  the visitors as expected took the ball on in the pack to score an early try. Hales fought back with good ground from the boot of  Pete Clifford. A penalty and yellow card for South followed converted by Hooper to make the score 3 - 5.

After 15 minutes of Hales pressure and clever interaction from Luke Smith, Pete Clifford and Carl Robinson saw another yellow card for a high tackle by the visitors

Luke Smith then received yellow card before the half time whistle, time to regroup. 

The second half saw South in the ascendancy with driving mauls and pressure resulting in two penalties against Hales 6 - 11.

Shortly after Hales went on the attack resulting in two yellow cards for South. Mark Evans picked up from the base, fed Clifford who sprinted to the line for a great try which he converted to lead 13 - 11.

Hales then took the game to South with pressure from Robinson, Oxford and Hooper. Again South lost a player to a yellow card.

A scrum on the visitors 22 saw Nathan Jones feed his backs for centre Carl Robinson to score in the corner. Clifford had his kicking boots on to take the lead to 20 - 11

Further pressure and line out by Hales came from a penalty as South fielded 15 players on the field with one in the sun bin!

Evans took the line out ball and a driving maul saw him score a well deserved try to take the final score to 25 - 11 to Hales, a well earned result to retain top position in the league.  

Hales meet Sutton Coldfield away next Saturday, kick off 3 pm.  


2nds Match Report by Dan Hunt 

Old Yardleians 1sts 38 pts               Old Halesonians 2nds 24pts


Old Hales travelled over to Old Yards to face their 1st team with some enforced changes to the starting line up.

Old Hales had the best of the early possession but when they over eagerly tried to spread the ball wide to the right, the Old Yards wing swooped onto an interception to score a simple try that was converted.

Old Hales fought back and pressure in the home side's 22 led to a penalty that Tom Harris duly slotted over to make the score 7-3. Old Yards came back strongly with driving forward play that culminated in a converted try from a lineout.

Following a period of fierce competitive play, the visitor's moved the ball to the right to give wing Jack Manners the opportunity to show his pace. Manners forced his way past two defenders to score in the corner. Tom Harris converted from long range to make the score 14-10. Just before half time Old Yards scrum half swept in for a converted try.

Old Hales started the second half well and a good move to the right allowed Tom Harris to release Jack Manners who easily outpaced the cover defence to score; Tom Harris slotted over the conversion. The visitors then  faced a self inflicted  set back when a stray pass in their own 22 went straight to the Old Yards wing who scored from 10 metres out; their fly half added the extras. Old Yards were now in their  element and from a 5 metre scrum they forced Old Hales backwards to score another converted try.

The heavens opened towards the end of the game but before it was all over Tom Harris jinked his way through the home sides defence to score and also added the conversion. Old Yards fly half had the last say when he successfully dropped a goal to make the final score 38-24.      ....................................


Old Halesonians RFC  3rds  v Wednesbury 2nds.   22- 0 

Report by Jukes Craig

This match was arranged at short notice after Hereford 3rds called of the league game midweek, the same as last season!! 

Our friendly game against Wednesbury 2nds was a challenging fixture. The game itself was a hard contest and the 4 tries for and 0 points against shows that Old Hales defense was again an outstanding aspect of our game play. Dan Cheesby scored his first try of the season finishing off a flowing hands move in the corner. Tom lewis scored his first try in 2 years just before the half time whistle after stealing a line out and smashing over the line.

The second half started at the same high intensity, our tackling being put the test again and again. Craig Jukes scored the 3rd try from just outside the 22 line, again hands across the line allowed Jukes to cut back and score which was converted by Gareth Price. for the next 15 minutes Wednesbury upped the tempo again and kept probing to find gaps but where continually repelled. George Eccles scored the try of the game taking it upon himself to throw a dummy to create a gap to run into, then side stepping another 2 players and then handing off the last man as he went over the line to take old hales total to 22-0.  

Tries – Tom 'Trigger' Lewis, Craig Jukes, George Eccles, Dan Cheesby Conversions – Gareth Price

Man of the match – Matt Weaver  dan, trigger, craig, george


blog comments powered by Disqus