Old Hales U15s 19 - 20 Hereford U15s

Last Updated: Mar 2, 2016 05:46pm
Hagley, Bromsgrove
By Mark Fussell
Share |

Sunday 28th February saw Old Hales U15’s welcome Hereford RFC to Wassell Grove for a plate match after drawing in the cup against Bridgnorth.

From the off, Old Hales took the play to Hereford and were camped out on their try line for what seemed like ages. However, they just could not get the ball over the line and in the end Hereford forced us back and were awarded a penalty kick right in front of our posts, which was successfully taken and they were 3 points ahead. 

Undeterred, Old Hales mounted another attack, driving the opposition right back to their try line. Harry Fussell worked hard to win the ball and Louise Prosser put in some excellent tackles each time Hereford tried to break away. In the end all the hard work paid off, an excellent dummy from Fin Bridgewater and Henry Thomas was able to dash over the line for the first try of the match. Fin Bridgewater successfully licked the conversion and Old Hales were ahead 7 – 3. 

How often when watching an international match have we seen England score a try only to loose their concentration and for the opposition to run in a responding try within minutes and that is exactly what happened here. A were moments of joy only to see Hereford respond with a try of their own. They could not convert, but had the lead, Old Hales 7 – Hereford 8. 

What followed was a truly monumental struggle by both sides to seize control. Oscar Crocombe worked hard as Hooker in the scrums and putting the ball in from the line-outs, with Jacob Bannister winning the ball in the air; Harry Fussell and Ryan Bevan were winning the ball at the breakdowns and Aiden Whilby was immense when driving the maul forward, but in the end Hereford were equal to the challenge and at half time the score remained Old Hales 7 – Hereford 8. 

The second half started in dramatic fashion with the lads working hard and Fin Bridgewater getting the ball out to Henry Thomas who was able to run one of his now trademark weaving sprints through the oppositions defence to score an amazing diving try. Another successful conversion kick from Bridgewater and the score was OId Hales 14 – Hereford 8. 

However, once again Hereford bounced back and minutes later ran in a try of their own. The kick wasn’t converted, but the score was Old Hales 14 – Hereford 13. 

Next it was our turn and a good attacking run of play from Old Hales saw Aiden Whilby take the score line to Old Hales 19 – Hereford 13. 

Surely the lads had this one in the bag, but no, Hereford had other ideas and their attack cut straight through our defence to score. A successful conversion kick and the score was Old Hales 19 – Hereford 20. 

An unlucky bounce from the kick-off allowed Hereford to bring the play back to the Old Hales Try line yet again, but then Louie Prosser (full-back) was passed the ball to kick it all the way back into Herefords half, what is more he was off like a whippet and, running three-quarters of the pitch was able to make the tackle on the Hereford player that caught his kick, an amazing run. 

Hereford managed to get the ball out and one of their fastest players set off back towards our half, he side-stepped one of our players and now this Hereford lad was moving at a hell of a lick, but Harry Fussell made a crunching tackle and stopped him dead in his tracks. A subsequent grubber kick from Fin Bridgewater held out the prospect of a last minute try for Old Hales, but no-one could get there and when Hereford killed the ball the match finished Old Hales 19 – Hereford 20. We had lost, but what a match and what an outstanding performance by the entire Old Hales U15’s squad.




blog comments powered by Disqus