Old Halesonians 14 - 20 Broadstreet

Old Hales lose out to powerful Street pack

Last Updated: Nov 26, 2013 08:47pm
Hagley, Bromsgrove
By Simon Hussey
Share |

A large crowd and bitterly cold day saw Hales first team again hit by last minute injuries to Player Coach Mark Evans and flanker Dan Young.

Early exchanges in this top of the table clash was not for the faint hearted as both sides fought for advantage.

The Broadstreet pack were massive and well drilled, Hales matched them early on but later the visitors were better drilled in lineout, ruck and maul.

Hales regularly put their backs in positions to score but the final pass was not accurate enough. Centres, Carl and Andy Robinson supported by wings Oxford and Smith looked dangerous early on and always looked as if they would break the visitors defence. One such move saw excellent inter passing only for the final pass to be intercepted by Broadstreet and a chase the whole length of the pitch, Hales tackling short of the line. A penalty to the visitors followed for a 0 -3 lead.

The Broadstreet pack then began to dominate making hard yards using their large forward power. Hales fought back, Pete Fitzgerald pinching a ball in the loose to feed the backs including Luke Smith who beat a man and passed to full back Chris Hooper who raced for a try. Hooper converted to lead 7 - 3. Broadstreet again used forward power to force a scrum close to Hales line which they drove over for a pushover try, converted 7 - 10 at half time.

The second half was much the same with the visitors pack in the ascendency, not pretty but effective, another penalty for Hales infringement converted 7 - 13. Hales again worked hard in the loose to win a ball and fed the backs, Joe Oxford made excellent ground on the wing to feed the ever present Hooper to score his second try which he converted to take the lead 14 - 13. It was a game of Broadstreet forward power against the stronger backs of the home side, both sides looking capable of scoring. It was again the Broadstreet pack, another 5 metre scrum, another pushover try, converted for a win 14 - 20.

Halesonians will need to regroup in training to put things right before travelling to another strong team, Hinckley, Kick off 2.15 pm.


2nd team report sent in by Bob Boyd. 

Win 32-24

Old Halesonians forwards started strongly against Sutton and fed the backs for Tom Harris to score an unconverted try in the corner for a lead of 5-0.

Sutton came back strongly and were awarded a penalty in front of the pasts to make it 5-3. With Old Hales forwards taking command Richard Topping drove over for another unconverted try making it 10-3, however Old Hales were taken unawares by a quick response from Sutton who scored a converted try, making it 10 all at half time.

The second half began with some strong forward play from Old Halesonians taking the ball into the Sutton 22 before Chris Harris fed Jon Harris, who broke 3 tackles to score under the postsTom Harris converted, score 17-10. Sutton responed immediately catching Old Hales unaware again to score a try and level the scaores at 17 all. Old Hales lost Chris Deeks to a head injury and Tom Foster stepped in to continue the dominance over the Sutton pack, soon pushing Sutton off the ball for Greg Smith to send it down the back line for Simon Sabel to score in the corner, 22-17 to Old Hales. Following a series of 5 metre scrums Gregg Smith powered over for another try, converted by Tom Harris, 29-17 to Old Hales. The strong Sutton side weren't finished yet and immediately stole an Old Hales line ball and raced over for a converted try, 29-24. Old Hales responded strongly with the Backs racing through a strong Sutton defence and Ben Perks, who had featured strongly in the centre all day, fed Simon Sabel who went across for the final score. Old Hales worthy winners at 32-24.


3rd Team no game.


4th team Won 17-7 against Kidderminster away.



blog comments powered by Disqus