Old Halesonians 5 - 22 Syston

Miserable weekend for Old Halesonians

Last Updated: Nov 3, 2016 08:00am
Hagley, Bromsgrove
By Kathleen Jacksonn
Share |

Old Halesonians first xv drop to 6th position in the league following defeat this weekend against a team which started the game bottom of the table, showing no game is safe in this league. 

The Hales team took to the field in a confident mood following a loss to top of the league Sheffield last week and started with their usual enthusiasm and pressure early on, led by full back Hooper creating moves and kicking intelligently. However Syston had come with a simple game plan of kicking for space and set piece. Hales did not adapt and the original plan of forwards running at the opposition failed to materialise. 

Hales continued to kick possession away, into the hands of the opposition fly half who ran the game all day for the visiting side. Early injuries to both Hales second rows, [censored] Sawyer and Ben Hughes left the home side with restricted set piece, and particularly line out ball, for the remainder of the game. 

Replacements Matt Young and Mike Topping took to the field playing out of position. In spite of that Hales managed to score an opening try from a scrum in the visitors 22 to lead 5- nil. Syston immediately came back to level the score at half time, 5-5. 

Hales had no answer as a young fit side stuck to their plan in the second half. The visitors scored 2 tries and a penalty try caused by Andy Holloway allegedly taking a Syston player out off the ball to prevent a score. 

Hales could not answer the Syston pressure, eventually going down by 22 points to 5. They travel to Bedford this Saturday for a 2.15pm kick off.


Second teams - Old Halesonians 2nds 32 - 29  Syston 2nds


Syston took the lead early on with a penalty kick. Old Hales responded from the re-start with a drive downfield and Sam Jones carried the ball over the line to make the score 5-3. 

Old Hales continued to attack and after 15 minutes a catch and drive from a lineout resulted in a try for Jake Harley-Yeadon to extend the lead to 10-3. 

Old Hales gave away a series of penalties and Syston’s in form No. 10 slotted over three penalties in quick succession to lead 10-12 at half time. 

Old Hales hit the ground running in the second half and quickly set up another catch and drive from a 5 metre lineout for Sam Jones to score his second try of the game. 

The home side continued to press and turned defence into attack when Alex Herbert made a perfectly timed run to intercept a Syston pass to go over for an unopposed try. Herbert converted the try for a 22-12 lead. 

Syston gained more possession and attacked the Old Hales line. Hales turned over the ball close to their own line and Chris Harris released Alex Herbert into space, after making ground he slipped the ball to Jay Reid on the right wing. Reid stepped on the gas to beat two defenders and score under the posts; Herbert converted the try to make the score 29-12. 

This was the point when Old Hales went to sleep. Syston made a break form their own half and the fullback sailed through to score a converted try. With their tails up Syston were on the attack again and scored out wide on the right. The try was converted for a score of 29-26. 

With 7 minutes remaining Old Hales conceded a penalty wide out on the right; the Syston No.10 stepped up and landed his seventh successful kick of the game to tie the score at 29-29. 

Old Hales rallied and attacked the Syston line; their endeavour paid off and a Syston infringement was penalised. Alex Herbert landed the penalty and Old Hales held on for a 32-29 win.


Third team - Stourbridge 2nds 50 - 20 Old Halesonians 3rds 

Old Hales scorers:

Tries: Steve Deakin, Aidan Blizzard, Callum Roberts (2)



Fourth team - Old Halesonians 4ths v Woodrush 3rds 

Old Hales accepted a friendly fixture against Woodrush 3rds. Unfortunately it became a one sided affair with Woodrush overwhelming the home side.


blog comments powered by Disqus