OLRFC Under 18s Take Centre Stage

National Cup First Round

Last Updated: Sep 29, 2016 09:27pm
Blackdown, Warwick
By Damion Dixon
Share |

With no senior rugby on Saturday, Old Leamingtonians Under 18s took centre stage as they hosted Old Coventrians in the First Round of the National Cup. 

OLs started brightly but were thwarted by OCs defence and a couple of handling errors. The first try came after 10 minutes as George Smith dotted down after a driving line out, a strength of OLs throughout the game. The second try came two minutes later with fly-half Alex Witchell crossing following a midfield break from James McSharry; Witchell added the conversion. OLs maintained their dominance and after strong runs from Jordi Pocknell and Connor Jones, Kyriakos Grammatopoulos added a third try with only fifteen minutes gone, Witchell once again improving the score. A fourth try came through Jamie Reynolds who held off two tacklers to score by the left flag. A fifth try of the half saw a flowing move ended by Nick Sapsford, again converted by Witchell as OLs went into half-time 31 – 0 in front.                                         

Little had been seen of OCs in the first period, but they came out with renewed purpose and only stout defence from OLs kept them out. In fact a turnover in their own half, allowed OLs to spin the ball wide giving Jack Edwards enough room to score in the corner. Witchell added a fine conversion into the wind. OCs, to their credit, kept playing and were rewarded with a try after 14 minutes of the half. OLs were now a little off the pace and it took several minutes before they regained the initiative, Edwards scoring a second try after quick hands following a turnover. OCs were next on the scoreboard with a converted try as OLs waited, in vain, for the whistle, but Edwards completed his hat-trick from the kick off breaking several tackles to score on the left. OCs were now deflated and OLS scored three further tries through Tadhg Sheehan, following a team move from their own try line and individual efforts from Grammatopoulos and McSharry, Charlie Curtis converting the last with the final kick. 

This left OLs winners by 65 – 12, and they now play Worcester Wanderers or Veseyans in two weeks. The team should return to league action on Saturday, but hosts Kenilworth have withdrawn from the competition.



blog comments powered by Disqus