Outside Centre Scores 3 Tries

Spalding 1st XV 7 v 45 Market Rasen & Louth 1st XV

Last Updated: Feb 26, 2015 06:27pm
Spalding St. John's, South Holland
By Geof Nichols
Share |

The start of the match was delayed for 5 minutes as a fierce hailstorm blew over the ground with the match being played up at Tyrrells due to waterlogged pitches at the Memorial ground.

In the forwards there was a start for Josh Caley in the front row and Liam Richardson returning at openside flanker. At half backs a new young partnership with Joe Grundy, having recently returned and playing well in the second team last week, starting at fly half with Will Shields at scrumhalf. After Richard Cooke’s promotion last week to the first team squad, this week he  was making the starting line up on the right wing and with his man of the match performance against Bletchley seconds last week young George Douglas in the squad

The start of the match saw Rasen hit the ground running and before Spalding had settled the visitors No 8 executed a well taken pick and drive to open the scoring for a converted try. As the conversion was being taken Ryan Chappell, captain, gathered in his players for a quick pep talk.

As a result Spalding’s defence looked sharper with the forwards getting their tackles, in particular Liam Richardson and the three quarters were cutting down space for the runners to operate in. Joe Grundy who had gone over on his ankle during the warm up before the match disappointingly was forced off resulting in a reshuffle with Ryan going fly half, Sion Williams inside centre, Harry Lane outside centre and George Douglas playing left wing

The visitors were dominating territory and were on Spalding’s twenty two and as they passed the ball along the line Josh Broome in the defence anticipated the visitor’s next pass and intercepted the ball, running the full length of the pitch to score under the post, which he successfully converted to bring the score level.

Rasen hit back 10 minutes later firstly with quick hands by the visitors three quarters creating space for their fullback to slice through for a converted try. This was followed by Rasen’s fly half chipping through for the outside centre to run passed the Spalding defence and before they could turn  he was over for a further converted try for a half time lead of 21 points to 7

Again Rasen started the second half brighter and with their forwards becoming more dominant, especially in the scrums, space was starting to open up out wide and the outside centre with no defensive cover to beat scored an unconverted try. For the next twenty minutes Spalding battled hard making use of their forwards who were gaining territory through Tom Duerden, Ash Piccaver, Mark Haighton and Harry Brown but the visitors held firm.   

The stalemate was broken by Rasen’s scrum half supporting a break down the left wing. As a result of all the defensive tackling Spalding started to tire making some elementary errors around the breakdown area and a frustrated Harry Brown was shown a yellow card. With only eight minutes remaining and a one man advantage the visitors three quarters ran in a further two tries for a final score of Rasen 45 points to 7

Spalding general defensive tackling during the match was good but Rasen’s stronger pack created openings for their backs to take advantage especially their outside centre with three tries. For a display of no stop running and tackling Liam Richardson was Spalding’s Man of the Match    

Team:  Waudby, Read, Caley, Haighton, Piccaver, Duerden, Richardson, Brown, Shields, Grundy, Lane, Chappell (captain), Williams, R Cooke, Broome, S Cooke, Scotney, Douglas 


blog comments powered by Disqus