Penalty Shoot Out Drama

Bromsgrove & District Football League

Last Updated: Apr 24, 2016 10:44pm
Abbey, Redditch
By Simon Burgess
Share |

Another busy day in the BDFL yesterday culminating in the Division 1 Cup Final at Bromsgrove Sporting FC where Northfield Athletic took on Chaddesley Corbett FC and a really intriguing game ensued, which ultimately ended in penalty shoot out drama, a victory for the underdog and all in front of 176 spectators at the Victoria Ground.
On a pleasant calm evening, nothing much of note happened for 15 minutes as Chadds successfully executed gameplan came to light and that was to not try and play Northfield at their own passing game but to sit back in numbers and make it difficult - This was proving a good tactic and Northfield were struggling to make any real in-roads accordingly. Indeed the first chance came on 25 minutes after a Chadds break away which led to a free kick being awarded and the effort was spilt by Northfield goalie Michael Kane and it later transpired, Kane broke his thumb in 3 places during this incident but played the whole match. On 29 minutes, Adam Simpson flicked a header wide of the upright after Chadds began to show some adventure. The best chance of the game came on 45 minutes though as Northfield midfielder Paul Newman headed wide from close range which would have given his side a timely boost after a really frustrating opening half. 0-0 at the break. The second half saw more goalmouth action and on 48, Ryan Moore nearly put Chadds ahead but Kane managed to scramble his effort round the post. Northfield showed some good football on 54 when some wizardry down the left flank by Portugese flair player Jake Thomas saw his cross met by Jon Myrie but James Poulton in the away goal managed to get enough on the ball to push it wide. Michael Teji was next to threaten the Chadds goal when he flashed the ball wide with a low drive and then Scott Taylor tried his luck with a 30 yarder to no avail, with Northfield now gaining momentum down the slope. Chadds were still soaking up the pressure really well even if meant resorting to illegal means, Luke Bowles the first man in Bob Wilson's notebook for a cynical foul on 62. It looked like a goal was on its way and after Taylor went close after him and Newman exchanged passes, Taylor made the breakthrough on 69 with a long range strike which flew over Poulton into the top corner with the keeper perhaps caught slightly off his line. Josh Moore, the main Northfield goal hope, was having a very quiet game well shackled but he was denied on 75 by Poulton who kept his side in the game before Taylor and Reiss Brians both shot wide on 82. With Northfield looking likely to hold on for a narrow win, the ground then witnessed Grade A drama as firstly Anthony Ward, making his debut for the first team after stepping up from the Reserves, slotted home from close range on 88 to equalise and then deep into stoppage time, Ward went down in the box and the referee pointed to the spot for what would be a great chance to seal an unlikely win. However Alex Dugmore's subsequent penalty was brilliantly saved by Kane and the sides played out the final moments knowing a shoot out was on the cards. With spot-kicks now on the cards to decide the match, all eyes were on the South end of the ground and Chadds first penalty taker Matt Danbury saw his shot saved by Kane and with Taylor converting Northfield's first kick, the trophy appeared to be set for Red and White ribbons on it. However more drama followed as Northfield players Moore, Aaron Westwood and Myrie all missed which saw the penalties from Ward, Ted Baylis (best penalty of the night, rifled down the middle with power) and Moore winning the shoot out for the villagers to seal a memorable win that not many saw coming, especially after their 4-0 defeat to Northfield a fortnight ago. A very good game all around and credit to Chadds managers Richard Ash/Matt Fludgate for their tactics which caused Northfield considerable bother and ultimately frustration;  With the sides still to meet in the League next month, another interesting game is on the cards.   
Onto the domestic action and with the WA Harris Cup semi-finals not able to be played on Sunday, all the other games were league ones as some clubs started to tackle their backlogs, most notably sides in Division 1 and Division 2. In the Prem, no such fixture congestion worries (as long as the weather behaves) and Thomas Brothers hosted Rubery Athletic hoping to make the most of VBGF's free week and VBGF's defeat last weekend - This they managed to do with a narrow bitty 1-0 victory the goal coming early in the second half after Matt Talbot in the Rubery goal parried a shot which Ian Wroe swept home. Oak Tree Sporting welcomed WCT Youth Raiders to Charford International Ground and it was the Raiders who raided the OTS backline and took away the 3 points as they romped to a 7-0 win; Goals from Tom Hobbs (hat-trick), Joey Haines, Darren Critcher, Steve Jeffries and Anthony Smith making the difference.
In Division One and after Northfield's slip up last weekend, the title was in BGIS's hands before their trip to Spa Athletic but they spectacularly threw away a 2-0 half time lead to lose the game 3-2 in what was a real coupon busting result. BGIS had gone into the lead through Dom Strevens and Adam Neason but a second half Spa fightback left them shell-shocked (goals from Kev Owen, Matt Winsper and an own goal) and with 2 defeats on the spin now, Thursday's trip to Conway Albion becomes more important than ever. Conway themselves today had a 2-0 home win against GLA to put them in a good place for the aforementioned match. Sporting Rednal's home game against Wychbold RBL was meant to use the new facilities on South Bromsgrove 3G but was changed to Wychbold in dramatic late circumstances and Wychbold won the game 3-1 with Rednal manager Darryl Foster having no complaints about the end result as Henry Davis, Brett Mould and Bradley Talbot struck with Lloyd Newman's goal for Rednal at least giving them something to cheer.
In Division Two and after holding Awkies Allstars to a draw in midweek, or should that be Awkies Allstars holding Hewell to a draw, the prison side hosted Hizza United for the return fixture after the sides played each other at the start of the month in an entertaining draw but it was Hizza who took the full allocation of points this time winning 3-0.  LPR hosted Rubery Juniors who were on a poor run of form going into the game and in a 13 goal thriller, LPR got the better of the argument 7-6, a strange scoreline for more reasons than one not least of all Rubery Juniors poor recent goalscoring record. From what we can gather, the scoring went along the lines of LPR racing into a 3-0 lead to leave Juniors shellshocked before their inspired fightback started when Ryan Khan put a cross into Jack Thompson to head home before Khan again assisted but this time Nathan Derrick netted. Lewis Boles and Khan scored the third and fourth Juniors goals before Juniors missed a penalty and then conceded from a defensive mistake so LPR went 5-4 up. Another goal from Derrick followed before Juniors believed they had nicked the points when Dean Hodges bagged; However another penalty and then a late late LPR winner saw them nick the points in this astonishing spectacle which both sides contributed too. Rednal Social Club played their last 'home' game of the season at Vineyard Lane against Awkies and an extremely competitive game ensued with Rednal winning 3-2; Ashleigh Tullett was sent off for the visitors (along with Rednal's Joe Forman) and he will miss three crucial games on his clubs busy run in. Awkies took the lead and we aren't sure if it was Mike Ryan or Jason Gibbons who opened the scoring (they both netted though!) but Rednal pegged them back as Sam Brownhill and Jamie Ashmore netted (the latter from the spot). Awkies did equalise to give some joy to Chris Fox who was on a flight home from Iceland at the time of the game but Graham Brennan won it for Rednal with another goal. Sporting Club Redditch and Chaps United played out a 1-1 draw with Ryan Field scoring for SCR and Paul Dowsett having an eventful match for Chaps as he scored, got booked and got the man of the match! In the Dan Sill 'watch', Dan didn't do anything of note for SCR in this game and had one of his quietest games of the season, it is hoped he is able to give us something to write about next weekend!
Double-header action for Meadow Park yesterday as they have the largest number of fixtures to play in Division 2 and they hosted bottom side Bridgefield for two matches; Double-headers are never as easy as you think due to the short nature of the games and the first game proved this as a good battle ensued with Meadow winning 4-1 thanks to Sean Chance's hat-trick and the evergeen Andy Crowther, Luke Hancock netted for Bridgefield. The second game was more meat and drink for Meadow as they won 11-2; Bridgefield goals coming from Hancock and Lee Farrell with Meadow going goal crazy c/o another hat-trick from Chance, a hat-trick from the jet heeled Sam Wright, a brace for Tom Smith and one each for Matt Russell, Craig Barnett and Rob Southwell.
At Sidemoor Rec in Division Three, FC Bromsgrove finally got to play Bromsgrove Corinthians after a faux-pax a few weekends back and the in-form Corinthians took the points with another sublime 6-3 victory. Usual suspects for Corinthians on the scoresheet namely Alex Beck (2), Tom Mason, Tommy Thompson, Ed Tear and the effervescent Christopher Walder. The other Sidemoor side AFC Millfields travelled to league leaders Rubery and were also on the end of a 6 goal defeat but a consolation goal came from Brad Hornsnall for Millies. Promotion chasing Callowbrook Green travelled to Stoke Prior at the Navigation inn and kept up the push on Rubery with an 8-2 win in a game where Jack Steele's pace proved vital, whilst Arrow Valley were on their travels through the country lanes to Chaddesley Corbett Reserves but the trip was fruitless as a sparkling Chaddesley display saw them return with their head in between their tails as they crashed 5-0. Chaddesley were in fine goalscoring form c/o Gaz Moriaty, Adam Westcott, Leigh Keeling, Llewellyn Fisher and Matt Neale with Westcott later appearing in the Division 1 final too.
In the pick of the midweek action played, Alcester Town picked up the Premier Cup after a 3-1 win over Belbroughton Athletic (Ellis Kalach at the double in this one) whilst in a surprise result, BGIS crashed out of the Evesham Hospital Cup by the same scoreline to the Evesham League version of Alcester Town! The other league results for the games played can be found on the league websites.
We have another busy week of midweek action coming up including our remaining two sides in the Kidderminster Hospital Cup, Awkies Allstars and Hizza United, both travelling to Kidderminster League opposition in their semi-finals (Hizza won in midweek at Wordsley Reserves 5-3) and we hope we can get an all BDFL final one. There's a tasty game in store on Thursday when BGIS go to Conway Albion whilst Northfield, Rednal Social Club, Chaps and Stoke Sporting are all in action to over the course of the three days. We also see two of our sides in a final on Thursday night, Meadow Park play WCT Youth Raiders at Bromsgrove Sporting FC so it's nice to know at least one BDFL team will take home the trophy; Indeed Thursday's final starts a period 3 finals in 7 days for Meadow, Pauk Hutchins being kept very busy with his tactics board in this busy period of games!
And then for next Sunday, the main event is the WFA County Junior Cup final where Meadow go for glory again, this time against Broadway United from the Evesham League. It's a 6pm kick off at Bromsgrove Sporting FC and hopefully a large number of you will take advantage of Bank Holiday and no work on Monday to go and watch. We also have the first of the WA Harris Cup semi-finals, Sporting Club Redditch v Northfield Athletic and Rubery Athletic aim to reach the Evesham Hospital Cup final as they travel to Bretferton Old Boys. Let's hope we get the chance to win another trophy and bring the WFA cup home again. We'll bring you all the reports from the games next weekend

Northfield Athletic 1 (Taylor), Chaddesley Corbett 1 (Ward)
Att: 176
Thomas Brothers 1 (Wroe), Rubery Athletic 0
Oak Tree Sporting 0, WCT Youth Raiders 7 (HOBBS 3, Critcher, Haines, A Smith, Jeffries)
Spa Athletic 3 (Owens, Winsper, OG), Bartley Green Illey Sunday 2 (Neason, Strevens)
Sporting Rednal 1 (Newman), Wychbold RBL 3 (Talbot, Davis, Mould)
Conway Albion 2, GLA 0

Sporting Club Redditch 1 (Field), Chaps United 1
Hewell 0, Hizza United 3
LPR 7, Rubery Juniors 6 (Derrick 2, Hodges, Boles, Thompson, R Khan)
Meadow Park 4 (CHANCE 3 Crowther), Bridgefield 1 (Hancock)
Bridgefield 2 (Hancock, Farrell), Meadow Park 11 (CHANCE 3, WRIGHT 3, T Smith 2, Barnett, Russell, Southwell)
Rednal Social Club 3 (Brownhill, Ashmore, Brennan), Awkies Allstars 2 (Ryan, Gibbons)
Chaddesley Corbett Reserves 5 (Moriaty, Westcott, Keeling, Fisher), Arrow Valley 0
Stoke Prior 2, Callowbrook Green 8
FC Bromsgrove 3, Bromsgrove Corinthians 6 (Beck 2, Tear, Thompson, C Walder, Mason)
Rubery 6, AFC Millfields 1 (Horsnall)
Alcester Town 3, Bartley Green Illey Sunday 1
Wordsley Reserves 3, Hizza United 5
Belbroughton Athletic 1 (Ginn), Alcester Town 3 (Kalach 2, Green)
Att: 147
Stoke Sporting 1, Northfield Athletic 4

Meadow Park 2, Sporting Club Redditch 1 
Hewell 2, Awkies Allstars 2


blog comments powered by Disqus