Scrappy Away Visit Leads to Loss

Wellesbourne 29-17 Keresley

Last Updated: Nov 12, 2013 07:26am
Wellesbourne, Stratford-on-Avon
By Ian Coulson
Share |

The Ks travelled to The Home Guard Club, Tiddington to meet Wellesbourne RFC in their third league game of the season.

All seemed well with the Ks going into this game, the last league game was the Ks' first league victory in a while, a series of positive training sessions and the addition and return of players to the team meant a good number travelled to the game.
The Ks started quickly and after only 5 minutes Jon Whitmarsh found To Baggot on the wing and the first try was scored. The conversion from was short. 0-5.
The lead was only briefly held as Bourne answered straight back after a scrum and a run straight down the Ks' left. The conversion could not be made, but the scores were level after only 7 minutes. 5-5.
The Ks kept the pressure on for a while with some good drives, but they lost out on some decisions and conceded several penalties until Wellesbourne cleared forward, catching the Ks centre unaware. A valiant effort by Justin JewkesTommy MarshTom Baggot and Brendan McNally Jr couldn't bring the attack to a halt and Bourne scored their second try. Quickly converted, after 19 minutes, the score was 12-5.
Wellesbourne then found their groove and kept pushing forward. A clearance knocked forward gave the Ks a scrum which led to a penalty for the Ks for foot up in the scrum. The kick was too wide to count.
Wellesbourne continue to dominate, especially in the set plays and after an intercepted pass the Ks' left was caught by surprise and Wellesbourne's third try was downed and converted. After 31 minutes the scored was 19-5.
The Ks seemed to lose a little discipline and committed a few fouls, one of which seemed kickable but it was sliced and short. This gave the Ks the chance to break on the stroke of half-time, withBrendan McNally Jr ran the wing after receiving a pass from James Coyle. The conversion was again short. 19-10.
The game restarted with the Ks pushing Wellesbourne on to the back foot and even when they broke forward, some great tackling brought their attacks to an end. But after only 3 minutes of pressure a K scrum was pushed back and Wellesbourne scooped up the ball and slipped down the left and managed to score again, right between the posts for an easy conversion. 26-10.
The Ks again made some ground, but couldn't get the ball near enough for a scoring chance. At this point Wellesbourne were the dominant team and seemed to pick every loose ball and made the best of all the set-plays.
With some frustrating decisions, play got a little scrappy with Tommy Marsh being sin-binned for kicking. The Ks defended well and kept the home team from taking advantage of the extra man. After a couple of reshuffles in positions, the Ks settled the game for a spell.
With around 10 minutes left and all the players on the field, the Ks drove forward and in a move by Colin 'Taffy' MarshEd MonkLee Colerodge allowed Ray Wood to score a try which was converted. 26-17.
The Ks rallied trying to push the play in the Wellesbourne half, but the home team were happy to slow the play down and picking their forward moves. The game was drawn to a close with a final blow to the Ks in the form of a kicked penalty leaving the final score at 29-17.


blog comments powered by Disqus