Saints back in second spot

Last Updated: Sep 15, 2013 09:10pm
Southam, Stratford-on-Avon
By David Hucker
Share |

Hot shot Simeon Smith scored twice to give Southam United a valuable away win at The Beehive, taking their unbeaten run to seven matches.

With Matt Ross unavailable due to work commitments, Jamie Coleman and Keiran Conway on holiday and Oli Manoochehri serving the last of his three-match suspension, manager Lee Knibbs had to ring the changes from the side that had beaten Blackwood the week before.

Andrew Skerratt returned from injury to take over in goal and Andy Wilson-King was back after completing his ban.

The opening 15 minutes were fairly even, before Saints went close through a Joss Holford shot after a good move involving Chris Wilson-King and Lee Thomas. Studley then had a chance when a corner was flicked on to Michael Batchelor, who shot over.

Tom Muldoon tried to set up Smith, but Dan Payne was quickly out of his goal to thwart the Saints striker, before Studley took the lead through captain Sam Wills in the 33rd.

Saints were back on level terms just a minute later as, this time, Smith (pictured) beat Payne to another Muldoon cross to head over the keeper. Skerratt made a fine double save from a corner to deny Studley just before the interval and the teams went in all square at 1-1.

Studley made two substitutions in attack at half-time, but it was Saints who came close to scoring again within a minute of the re-start as Smith robbed a defender only to see his shot blocked for a corner.

He almost got in again when Payne took the ball off his head from a Marc Passey cross, but his persistence paid off as he put Saints in front in the 56th minute, turning and shooting powerfully past Payne.

Smith put the ball into the net again when converting a Casey Gaggini cross, only for the effort to be ruled out for offside. Studley almost snatched an equaliser late on, but Saints ran out comfortable winners to reclaim second spot in the table.



blog comments powered by Disqus