Saints blown away by Brocton goal blitz

Last Updated: Dec 31, 2013 07:58am
Southam, Stratford-on-Avon
By David Hucker
Share |

A penalty from Oli Manoochehri in the third minute of added time was no more than a consolation as Southam United went down 5-1 to league leaders Brocton at Silkmore Lane.
For much of the opening 45 minutes, there was little to choose between the sides, with Saints having the greater number of scoring chances.
But, in keeper Adam Whitehouse and prolific striker Gary Fife, Brocton had two players who turned the tide in their favour and set up what was, in the end, a commanding win.
After poor first half performances in their last two matches, Saints started this encounter determined to put up a better showing and Whitehouse had to be at his best to deny first Simeon Smith and then Manoochehri (pictured).
But, with their first goal attempt on target, Brocton took the lead as a cross from the left went beyond Kieran Conway to the far post where the unmarked Paul McMahon, a late replacement for the delayed Richard Allen, headed home unchallenged.
Whitehouse again denied Saints, saving a Smith shot from distance and then going low to his left to stop a fierce Marc Passey drive. Brocton hit back and Conway failed to hold a low shot from Fife and the ball fell to Daniel Lomas, who put his effort wide with the goal at his mercy.
Smith was fouled outside the penalty area, but Passey’s free kick drifted wide of the far post and Simon Hicks headed over from an inswinging Jamie Coleman corner from the right. The half ended with Coleman winning the ball out on the left and crossing to Smith, whose header was cleared by Andrew Bourne.
There was little indication of what was in store when, within five minutes of the re-start, Joss Holford burst through the home defence to create another goalscoring chance for Saints. That was the nearest they were to come for the rest of the match, as Brocton gave a masterclass in finishing to hit four more goals.
They doubled the lead in the 54th minute when Ryan Caputo conceded a free kick  taken by Jamie Evans and Fife stooped to head in from close range, Fife then scored the goal of the match, collecting the ball on the edge of the area and turning to send an unstoppable shot past Conway.
David Ablewhite set up Lomas to hit a right foot shot for number four in the 79th minute and Fife completed his hat-trick with five minutes to go with a low free kick that went through a static Saints defence and past Conway.



blog comments powered by Disqus