Slater Leads Colts to Victory

Kenilworth Colts vs Shipston Colts

Last Updated: Mar 12, 2015 09:30am
Kenilworth, Warwick
By Willie Whitesmith
Share |

Captain Matt Slater leads the Colts to Victory with leadership and tries in a thrilling encounter where Kenilworth played with 12 men for part of the game and scored the winning points in the last couple of minutes.



Matt Slater 4


Zack Templeton 3


This was always going to be a difficult match, but Kenilworth did not know they were also going to have to play the referee as well.

The first try came from a chip kick from Alex, that caught Shipston on the hop. Callum was able to tackle the Full Back and the ball was stripped and popped to Slates, who stormed over to score in the corner. Templeton converted from the side lines 7 nil. 11 mins.

Shipston kept pressing and the Kens found themselves on their own 22 with a line out. The Kenilworth ball was tapped by Shipston but the unprepared Scrum Half was not able to catch the ball before Matt Slater grasped it on the full and sprinted off again, with only the Full Back to beat. The full back was picking himself up off the ground after being flattened, as Slater went over to score again. 18 mins 12 nil. No conversion.

Shipston then came back into the game and scored on 25 mins. No conversion. 12-5.

A sustained period of pressure from the Kens saw them work up field through many phases. Once again popped up to Matt Slater who scored under the posts. Duly converted by Zack. 30 mins. 19-5

At this stage, coming up to Half time Kenilworth were well on top.

The second half commenced with a strong attack from the kick off from Shipston, with the Kens conceding a penalty 10 yards from their line.  The ref then gave a further penalty against Kenilworth for not retreating 10 and amazingly Yellow carded the guilty player. Kenilworth down to 14 men. Shipston then scored from this play controversially, but missed the conversion. 19-10  

4 mins.

A strange incident then occurred where a Kenilworth player complained to the ref that he had his hands under the ball and the ref should not have awarded the try. (not in those words), off he went as well, the Kens now down to 13 men.

Not surprisingly, Shipston then went on to score against the depleted Kenilworth Team at 7 mins. Plus conversion 19-17.

As if things could not get worse, a rampaging Kenilworth at the kick off got carried away and took out the Shipston jumper. The ref by now having frayed the edges of his card pocket, went straight in again and off went player 3. Kenilworth now 12 men.

This seemed to really annoy the boys, who from the missed kick for touch by the Ships, then went rampaging down the right hand side of the pitch, only to be stopped at the Shipston line.

However, with 3 players missing it was only a matter of time before Shipston passed the ball out wide and scored from well within their own half. 19 mins plus conversion 19/24.

All the Kens players were now back on and again they started to exert pressure through the forwards. With less than 16 mins left, Kenilworth needed a converted try to win or a draw for extra time.

With time running out, the forward pushed forward though a mauling - off loading game, to bring play up beyond the Ships 22. Slater then broke through to score half way between posts and touch. With the howling wind, the conversion did not look likely and an unpopular period of extra time beckoned. However, Zack stepped up to slot the ball through the post and bring the game to an end. 

Kenilworth win 26/24

We are in the draw with Stratford, Chipping Norton and Old Covs on the 21st March. Next week is a much anticipated encounter in the league against Newbold who we should have beaten last time.


blog comments powered by Disqus