Solid 2-0 win for Division 1 Champions

Bromsgrove & District Football League

Last Updated: Aug 23, 2016 06:36pm
Abbey, Redditch
By Simon Burgess
Share |


Week 3 of the BDFL saw the start of some cup action which will dominate a large majority of the programme for the foreseeable future, but there really is only one place to start today and that’s in the Premier where newly promoted Division 1 champions Bartley Green Illey Sunday stunned Black Horse to come away with the three points in a solid 2-0 victory.


Both sides entered this fixture understrength with Bartley missing 7 first team regulars and without a recognised defender in the ranks, whilst Black were hampered by injuries, suspension and the V-Festival but nonetheless, a strong selection of Saturday players had been assembled. Bartley started the game the more enterprising having a good opening 15 minutes spraying the ball around confidently, Brad Bullimore and Carl Martin enjoying the freedom the big pitch provided. Their best chance came when Kemal Nedjat rifled a 20 yarder straight at the midriff of Brendan Bunn in the home goal. Aaron Collins in the Bartley goal saved well from point blank range, as well as being tested by a series of good set pieces from Dale Edwards, whilst Robbie Bunn narrowly poked the ball wide on the stroke of half-time but a 0-0 scoreline at the break was a fair reflection of the energy and endeavour of both sides. The start of the second half was delayed whilst a linesman was found due to Bartley manager Mark Mccleary having to come onto the field of play following Nedjat’s knee problem flaring up again. The game opened up even more in the second period, with Black having far more of the possession but not really creating any clearcut chances. Bartley were content to play on the counter using the hold up skills of Connor Collins and the energy of Miles Newman. Sean Brain had Black’s best chance in the second period but his snap header glanced wide. With the game set for a 0-0 draw, Bartley broke forward and Dan Lawrence’s trickery was too much for Black left back Aaron Xavier who hauled him down for a penalty; The usually reliable Collins stepped up but his good strike was superbly saved by Bunn diving to his right to tip it over the bar, a real guilt edged chance gone begging. Would Bartley be made to pay for it? No they wouldn’t and just two minutes later, they were amazingly in front; Jordan Allmark whipped over a fine cross from the left and Collins rose above Adam Blake at the back post to send a header back across goal to nestle in the far corner, sparking scenes of joy in the Bartley camp. With the game moving into injury time, Newman sealed the game with a low strike from 20 yards after outfoxing three defenders on the edge of the box with a fine dribble. A tremendous game overall, credit to both sides for putting on a good game of football (some of Black’s football was extremely crisp) and fine advert for the Premier Division; Although the stats will show Black had majority of the possession, they couldn’t break down the Bartley backline held together well by makeshift defenders Nick Groves and especially Ryan Corrigan.


Black remain top of the pile still but Millfield Rovers have started their new life in the BDFL well and followed up last week’s win with a 3-1 home win over Northfield Athletic who remain pointless after two games. Chris Lowe, after yet another transfer on a par with Liam Dawson’s paperwork, opened the scoring for Millfields. Northfield equalised from the spot before being reduced to 10 men after a double booking. Jimmy Ward put Millfields ahead, converting Mike Hewitt’s centre and after a second goalkeeper spillage, also contributing to the first goal, Neil Dews prodded home to put the points in the bag. Many pundits excluding The Stoat, predict a better campaign for Belbroughton Athletic and they got their first 3 points on the board with a fine 3-0 win at Rubery Athletic. 


In the Bromsgrove and Redditch Standard Shield, formerly the LMS Shield but re-named after a midweek sponsorship deal was finalised, Division 1 side Oak Tree Sporting continued their good early season form with a 3-2 win over Premier Division Thomas Brothers whose indifferent start continues and their cause not helped by ending the match with nine men after some strong tackling by Omar Pennicott and Craig Wood was seemingly not stood for by Referee Craig Thompson, indeed these red cards made it 3 players sent off on Charford this morning! Brothers went into half-time 1-0 up and only heroics by Jason Williams in the home goal prevented it from being 2-0 as he saved a penalty, presumably taken by Stuart Hall. Oak Tree equalised around the hour mark, James Gasson playing in Jack Steele who finished well, before James Keenahan put them ahead on 65. Brothers equalised again then Steele grabbed the winner via the penalty spot so OTS start their group phase matches in the best possible way.

Another Prem side in cup action was Alcester Town who were ruthless in their clash in the WA Harris Cup with Division 3 side Stoke Prior; A home victory was always on the cards in this one but a 16-0 scoreline ensued though due to Stoke Prior not being able to field 7 players during the course of the game, the game did actually not finish and an official adjudication will be needed from the League on this matter.


In Division 1, Chaddesley Corbett have started well with their focus on getting a younger squad together paying dividends. A 6-0 home victory over FC Hop Pole ensued today with all the goals coming in the second period. Firstly Matt ‘Superstar’ Perry put in a free kick which Ryan Moore got to first and nudged home before Lewis Phillips’s shot was cruelly deflected to give the FCH keeper no chance, a similar scenario of a deflection for goal three. The fourth came when Ben Tolley played Phillips in and Perry got the fifth with a sublime volley. Phillips finished off a fine individual display, playing a 1-2 with his manager Richard Ash, before despatching the ball home. FC Hop pole yet to get off the mark points and goals wise but plenty of games coming up for them to achieve this. Early season pace setters are Rubery, who having had a scare on their pitch after the weekend rain, saw off Red Lion 4-0 who suffer back to back defeats possibly for the first time as a club. Rubery’s goals coming from Sean Donovan, Lewis Mcpike, Dan Wells and Ben Birch whilst Mason Mansfield missed a penalty as their young legs came to the fore especially second half; Alvechurch’s Brogan Halpin also hit the post twice. Things don’t get any easier for Red Lion in the coming weeks with visits from Alcester Town and Bartley Green Illey Sunday on the way.


FC Highgate v Wychbold RBL finished 3-2 after a right royal battle at The Coppice. Wychbold went into an early lead before a very rare Spencer Hunt goal equalised. In the second half, FCH took control when marquee signing Laurence Martin played in top scorer Ben Markall who couldn’t miss, before Martin netted from the penalty spot for 3-1. Wychbold pressed hard, Joel Warwick in the home goal making some fine saves in-between, but an 89th minute second goal was not enough momentum to get a third and FCH held on for the points. In the Division 1 cup quarter-final between Quinton Athletic and Bromsgrove Athletico, this went the way of Quinton who won by a narrow 2-1 scoreline; Luke Crockett put the hosts ahead with a header from a corner and that was the only action of the first half. Athletico started the second half well, equalised and then astonishingly a forward, possibly Sam Wright, hit the bar from a yard out. They were made to pay for this when Kevin Heeley netted, again from a set piece delivery, [censored] Hopson providing the assist.          


In Division 2, Callowbrook Green had a disastrous day losing 8-1 away to Winyates who have started the season well and lead the table early on; Sam Pillinger with Callowbrook’s consolation goal. A good quality game at the Valley Stadium where Awkies Allstars pipped Redditch United Sundays 1-0 with a late Chris Fox goal, Fox expertly taking a Josh Clarke ball in his stride and looping it into the top corner. The result was perhaps harsh on Redditch United Sunday who continue to put in good performances but without any reward. Hizza United got their first win of the season winning 4-2 at home to Spa Athletic thanks mainly to Ash Verity’s brace and one each for Ben ‘Usain’ Briggs and Ryan Blake, whilst Division 2 sides AFC Northfield and Studley Lions played out a hard fought 2-2 draw in the Bridgwater Cup, Nick Briggs and Marc Jovanovic on target for Studley Lions. 


In Division 3, very early days and too early to draw conclusions, but Chaddesley Reserves and Bromsgrove Corinthians have both started well. The Corries beat Cofton Old Boys 3-2, with Alex Beck and Tom Mason at it again sharing the goals between them, Corries ending the week on a good note having snapped up both Ryan Molesworth and Matt Guise in midweek. Chaddesley Reserves had a fine 4-1 win at Meadow Park Youth where their clinical finishing was the only difference after MP had shown some real promise with their sharp football. Dan White, Philip Bower, Anthony Ward and Gaz Moriaty on target for the villagers with Will Symonds scoring a consolation for MP and having another disallowed. Laburnum and Bromsgrove Academicals played out a 2-2 draw with each other with Lewis Billingham/Chris Hancock scoring for Laburnum and Nick Baker/Dom Ward replying for Academicals, whilst Arrow Valley suffered their first defeat of the season with a 4-2 away defeat at Millfield Rovers Reserves in the Bridgwater Cup; MRR went into a 1-0 lead when a monster kick from Ricky Jones ended with a neat Ryan Wood lob. Further goals from Wood and one from Charlie Bradley saw MRR cruise into a 3-0 lead before Arrow got one back from the penalty spot through Garry Harvey. Bradley netted a fourth shortly after and although Arrow got another back via Darryl King’s effort, the early damage was done and there were no further goals to note.  

Stoke Works and FC Bromsgrove came to the party for the first time this season, both had the first two weeks of the season off and whilst it wasn’t a great first league game at all, Stoke came away with a 3-1 victory thanks to a brace by the giant Jon Snell and one from Ryan Cooper on his return from Meadow Park. 


Bank Holiday Sunday next week in Week 4 and plenty of chance for clubs to play a morning game then go out on some team bonding exercises in the afternoon! Pick of next week’s games look like Red Lion hosting Alcester Town and Belbroughton hosting FC Highgate United in the Bromsgrove and Redditch Standard Shield, whilst Black Horse go to Charford in the Premier Cup against a confident Millfield Rovers. Awkies Allstars and AFC Northfield in Division 2 also looks a good game on paper.

Black Horse 0, Bartley Green Illey Sunday 2 (Collins, Newman) 
Millfield Rovers 3 (Dews, Lowe, Ward), Northfield Athletic 1
Rubery Athletic 0, Belbroughton Athletic 3 

Quinton Athletic 2 (Crockett, Heeley), Bromsgrove Athletico 1 

Rubery 4 (Birch, Donovan, Wells, Mcpike), Red Lion 0
FC Highgate United 3 (Hunt, Markall, Martin), Wychbold RBL 2
Chaddesley Corbett 6 (PHILLIPS 3, Perry, Moore, Unknown), FC Hop Pole 0

Winyates 8, Callowbrook Green 1 (Pillinger)
Hizza United 4 (Verity 2, Briggs, Blake), Spa Athletic 2 
Redditch United Sunday 0, Awkies Allstars 1 (Fox) 

Bromsgrove Corinthians 3 (Beck 2, Mason), Cofton Old Boys 2
Meadow Park Youth 1 (Symonds), Chaddesley Corbett Reserves 4 (Moriaty, White, Bower, Ward) 
Stoke Works 3 (Snell 2, Cooper), FC Bromsgrove 1
Laburnum 2 (Billingham, Hancock), Bromsgrove Academicals 2 (Ward, Baker) 

Alcester Town 16, Stoke Prior 0
(Match abandoned at half-time due to SP not having enough players)

Oak Tree Sporting 3 (Steele 2, Keenahan), Thomas Brothers 2 (Whitehead, Hall)

AFC Northfield 2, Studley Lions 2 (Jovanovic, Briggs) 
Millfield Rovers Reserves 4 (Wood 2, Bradley 2), Arrow Valley 2 (Harvey, King)


blog comments powered by Disqus