South Leicester 37 - 25 Old Halesonians

Hales Blow 15 Point Lead to determined South Leicester

Last Updated: Feb 24, 2014 07:26pm
Hagley, Bromsgrove
By Simon Hussey
Share |

After a four week lay off expectations were high from both supporters and players on a beautiful Spring like Saturday in South Leicestershire.

For the first 25 minutes it was all Halesonians with some Champagne rugby. Sharp, incisive, fast paced, hard tackling and possibly some of the best passages of play this season.

Despite this the home side took the lead from a Hales attack where a loose ball was collected by their impressive winger who sprinted 80 yards, crashing through numerous tackles to score 5 - 0.

Then during the first 25 minutes, with  the help of the Hales team, centre Andy Robinson began to outplay the majority of the opposition single handed.

He appeared to cover every position on the pitch, he was everywhere. After 10 minutes he gathered the ball to score an excellent try which he converted 5 - 7. 

Eight minutes later Hales again worked the phases and following a Luke Smith attack with the ball, he fed Andy Robinson again for his second try and conversion of the game 5 - 14.

Continued pressure by the visitors forced two penalties close to the home try line, Robinson converted both for a personal tally of 20 points to 5. Leicester then started their comeback before half time with a well worked try 10 - 20 at half time,

The second half was a totally different game, South Leicester lifted a gear and introduced a dogged commitment to fight back. Hales made three mistakes in a row in attack which gifted the ball to the opposition.

The visitors struggled to contain the greater forward power of Leicester . They made best use of the ball, after yet another break by Andy Robinson, he broke through to feed Luke Smith who passed to the opposition who scored a gifted try.

This was a defining moment. During a disappointing second period of Hales play the home side seemed to score at will, 3 more tries and 2 conversions followed by 2 penalties for a convincing lead 37 - 20.

Ten minutes to go and Hales fought back with a consolation try by Luke Smith. Andy Robinson missed the conversion but could not be blamed for the lack of commitment in the second half. Hales well beaten 37 - 25.

Hales now sit fourth in the Midlands National 3 League behind Sutton who move up to third having narrowly beaten Nuneaton. The next game on Saturday is away to Bedford Athletic when Hales will be looking to bounce back from this disappointment, kick off 3 pm.

Photo: File pic


blog comments powered by Disqus