St Andrews 2 Brocton 1

Carlsberg FA Vase Round 2

Last Updated: Nov 18, 2013 09:49am
Penkside, Stafford
By Pete Russell
Share |

Brocton bowed out of the Carlsberg FA Vase surely disappointed that they had not done themselves justice against a team they would probably have beaten 3 times out of 4.

The Badgers began with Jamie Evans and Sam Bell pushing on from the full back positions and both found themselves with plenty of room to advance. Both sides had difficulty keeping their feet on a slippery surface and neither side got a sequence of passes together until just after the ten minute mark.

Brocton retreated as the St Andrews players advanced through the centre of the pitch to within sight of Brocton’s danger area. As the visiting side seemed suddenly to perceive that this might be a problem the ball was slipped wide and a cross to the far post gave Brady Hickey the simplest of tasks to come on to it unchallenged and head home.

That stung Brocton and the following move could have seen Evans pulling them level. It began when Charlie Jones set Bell away on the right, Bell found Dave Berks, who brought in Andy Bourne and Bourne found Gary Fife. Fife slipped it into Evans’ path on the left and his shot across the box flashed just wide Damien Charie had a shot deflected out for a corner moments later after Evans had crossed into the box for him.

On 24 minutes Bell made his run right to the bye line and his cross, dinked over keeper and defenders alike, found was met by a diving header from Berks on the far post to draw Brocton level.

The remainder of the half saw St Andrews produce the better of the approach work, but both team’s defences were on top.

It was the Badgers who gained the upper hand territorially in the second period, although it still took over twenty minutes for there to be any real chance of a goal. Paul McMahon got beyond the home back line and shaped to shoot with only the keeper to beat. He held off his strike to commit the keeper and a defender was able to get back in time to get in a good tackle.

Fife then hit the bar from a free kick after Evans had jinked his way through the defence only to be taken down as he broke clear. The rebound was deflected for a corner and then substitute Jethro Jarrett volleyed his effort wide of the post as the corner rebounded into his path.

It was another Fife free kick, after another Brocton attack had needed a foul to disrupt the move, which sat up invitingly at the far post beyond the defensive line. Andy Bourne attacked it but his slide fell inches short of turning it in.

Brocton were having the majority of the play and it looked only a matter of time before one of their efforts found the net as the defending became more desperate, but then the visiting side’s luck  deserted them as Evans miscued a clearance via an involuntary hand and as the home side burst into the box Jones mistimed his saving tackle and a penalty was awarded. Hickey stepped up to convert.

Brocton pressed for the remaining minutes, but strong defensive work saw the home side through.

Brocton: Adam Whitehouse, Sam Bell, Jamie Evans, Rob Tomlinson, Levi Bailey, Dave Berks,

Charlie Jones, Andy Bourne, Gary Fife, Damien Charie, Paul McMahon.

Used Substitutes: Jethro Jarrett, Craig Hulme.

Brocton return to League action on Saturday with an away game at Racing Club Warwick whilst the Reserves fresh from an emphatic 3-0 win over Continental Star face Cadbury Athletic at Silkmore Lane. Both matches kick off at 3pm.




blog comments powered by Disqus