Stourport Swifts 0 Brocton 2

Carlsberg FA Vase 1st Round

Last Updated: Oct 20, 2013 08:40pm
Penkside, Stafford
By Pete Russell
Share |

Brocton continued their fine form this season with an excellent performance that saw them see of higher league Stourport Swifts of the Midland Alliance.

Every member of the Brocton side succeeded in their own personal battles against physically tough opponents.

Manager John Berks had set his team around a central midfield pairing of Andy Bourne and Charlie Jones with Gary Fife and David Berks having wider attacking roles. This worked very well, other than an early mix up in defence but Adam Whitehouse kept the Badgers on terms by pulling off a superb close range save. After that early scare Brocton took the game to the home side and had several chances in addition to the two goals they scored via the left foot of Dave Berks.

Berks’ first goal came midway through the first half following an intelligent run when the ball was put into his path by Jamie Evans and his trusty left boot lashed the ball from outside the penalty area beating former Wolves youngster Lewis Solly in the Swifts goal for pace.The goal was thoroughly deserved. Brocton were tackling, passing and running for every ball and giving Stourport problems with their neat inter play. They were getting around the defence and on two occasions prior to the break gave Paul McMahon two clear chances with a ‘one on one’ against Lewis Solly. On both occasions the keeper made himself big by narrowing the angles and foiled the Brocton centre forward.

As half time approached Stourport put on the pressure and forced a couple of corners but excellent handling by Whitehouse and good defending by Levi Bailey and Matt Skinner stymied any real threat to the Brocton goal.
As the second half commenced in heavy rain everyone felt that a tricky wet surface may change the course of the game but, following an early burst of enthusiasm by the home side, it was Brocton who started to penetrate. Damien Charie was a constant threat and when Berks, on the right, turned his marker and switched the ball to his left foot, the Brocton supporters were in no doubt where it was heading with another power shot through a crowded box and into the net.

Stourport responded by changing three players in the space of ten minutes but they were always chasing the game as defender Jordan Jones pushed forward in an effort to support their attacks.
Manager Berks bought on fresh strikers with Dan Shore replacing McMahon and Matt Berkley replacing Charie, both of whom were into the action straight away. Shore almost added to the score after only two minutes on the field, as keeper Solly’s attempted clearance struck his body and nearly ricocheted into the goal but Shore was just unable to force it home.
Liam Haycock came on for Berks for the last 10 minutes, and battled well to maintain Brocton’s supremacy in midfield for the closing stages to the game. Stourport lost one of their players to injury late on which reduced them to ten men for the remainder of the match as they had already used all their substitutions.

Overall Brocton were by far the better side on the day and deserved their 0-2 win which takes them into the 2nd round hoping they can go one better than their successful run two years ago.
Brocton: Adam Whitehouse, Dave Ablewhite, Jamie Evans, Matt Skinner, Levi Bailey, Dave Berks, Gary Fife, Andy Bourne, Charlie Jones, Damien Charie, Paul McMahon.
Used Substitutes: Dan Shore, Matt Berkley, Liam Haycock.
This Saturday it is a return to League action with an away match at Pilkington XXX and the Reserves are also away with a Challenge Urn match against Pelsall Villa (both kick off at 3pm)


blog comments powered by Disqus