Stourport Swifts 1 - 0 Brocton

Midlands Football League Premier Division

Last Updated: Mar 2, 2016 06:03pm
Penkside, Stafford
By Pete Russell
Share |

Midland Football League Premier  Division

Stourport Swifts 1 Brocton 0

A changed central defence due to the suspension of Ed Booth, saw Gary Fife installed as sweeper for most of the match, and he did a sound job in this unusual role for the recognised striker. Brocton were eager from the start which saw Josh Wilson advance down the wing and David Berks produce a header which finished just outside the post in the first minute. Brocton were pressing, playing the ball well on the ground and giving Stourport much to think about, and it was only in the twelfth minute that the home side managed their first attack through James Hanson but his shot was well over. At this time of the match Brocton forgot their earlier successes, as both sides started to move the ball long and in the air, which made for an untidy period and Brocton were guilty of not finding their men which gave Swifts a lift and they started to put several moves together. On the half hour Swifts had a free kick which Jamie Hyde dispatched and the cross bar came to Brocton’s rescue. This was followed by a shot from Reece Shirvock which Calum Barrett saved but shed the ball and the race was on to clear, but Joe Phillips was on hand to get the final touch for Swifts to take the lead on Thirty two minutes. The goal gave Swifts real confidence and they continued to put pressure on the visitors who were left with occasional counter attacks which did not amount to much although Josh Wilson was the most effective forward on the left. At the final stages of the first half Brocton had another scare following a mix up in defence and Jack Rogers picked up the ball and fired off a shot but this was wide of the goal. Not a good half for Brocton having started well but allowing Stourport to gain confidence and control the later part of the period, and also taking the one goal advantage into the break.

Initially Stourport started the second half as they had left off with Jamie Hyde getting a shot on goal on the forty seventh minute. Rogers followed suit a minute later and Barrett had to save at the near post as the lively winger came in from the left. Brocton were not functioning very well but won a corner on fifty five minutes and the ball came out to Wilson and he fired in a shot but was wide. Jack Edwards had been introduced at half time for Charlie Jones and started to pick up the ball and run at the Swifts defence causing them some concerns but Matt Fulloway and man of the match Ryan Wollacott defended well. Brocton were now showing real urgency and started to apply the pressure in pursuit of the equaliser. Sean Kinsella and David Berks were pulling the strings in midfield giving the visitors some hope although the counter attacking strategy of Swifts was always a threat. Swifts had two corners in succession around the sixtieth minute but from there on Brocton were gradually taking control and forcing the Swifts defence further and futher back. Edwards had a run on goal but it was well defended by Wollacott again, and Paul McMahon was close following a corner from Berks which was agonisingly short of the goal line but cleared by a desperate defender on seventy five minutes. Brocton were turning the screw and introduced Matt Harding and Matt Dean, and also readjusting the defence with Gary Fife re installed in his normal role at centre forward. Brocton had a foul awarded thirty yards out and Berks fired a shot just short of the advancing Fife on eighty two minutes. The game was intensifying with Brocton having most of the possession in the Swifts half, however the home side managed a break out and centre forward Ben Maund was close with a shot on Barrett’s goal. With the ninety minutes approaching Brocton were advancing down both sides and from some good play on the left Matt Harding fired a fierce shot but went over the bar. Brocton had two corners at the end and the final corner produced the golden opportunity for Matt Dean as Swifts keeper Dominic Richards missed the high ball from Berks but the advancing winger headed the ball over leaving the visitors with nothing to show for their efforts in the second period. The game closed with a relieved Swifts side cheering their victory which puts them above Brocton in the league table.


blog comments powered by Disqus