Syston 13 - 24 Old Halesonians 1st XV

Old Hales hold on for another hard fought victory

Last Updated: Sep 29, 2013 08:22pm
Hagley, Bromsgrove
By John Clark
Share |

Old Hales travelled to Leicestershire to meet Syston for the first time. The game was the most testing yet with the visitors grinding out a win 24 -13.

The first 20 minutes saw pressure from Hales but without breaching the Syston defence. The home side were penalised with a yellow card from which an attacking line out for Hales took place.

Mark Evans secured the ball for Jones to feed Carl Robinson. He made ground back towards the forwards slipping the ball to skipper Taylor who fed  Hooker Fitzgerald for his first try of the game, converted by Hooper to lead 7 - 0.

After 18 minutes Hales winger had to leave the field with a bang to the head. Tom Harris came off the bench to fly half and Steve Powell moved to the wing. 

Hales gathered themselves again with good work and linking between Evans, Hooper, Carl Robinson again before Rich Taylor scored a try wide out. Hooper had a difficult kick but successfully hit the upright and bounced over for 2 points to lead 14 - 0.

Syston worked their way back into the game with a penalty but the visitors, although not up to their best controlled the game to lead 14 - 3 at half time. The second half saw more disruption for Hales with centre Andy Robinson leaving the field with a continuing hamstring injury. Back row Dan Young moved to centre and James Sadler came off the bench at back row.

It was a disjointed game for Hales from here although they worked a try through the forwards driving mauls for Evans to score out wide to lead 19 - 3. Syston then began to fight back with a well earn't try and conversion to bring the score to 19 - 10 with 20 minutes to go.

Continued Syston pressure resulted in Hales Young receiving a yellow card and leaving the field for 10 minutes, Syston were awarded another penalty to make the score 19 - 13 and looked like they would take the game over. 

Once again Hales regrouped back at 15 men for a drive up the centre of the field, a ruck provided a clear chance for Clifford to take a drop goal but he pulled it wide.

On 76 minutes, at the restart, Clifford made up for the last kick with a searing run through the home defence to feed the ever present Fitzgerald to score in the corner 24 - 13 Syston never gave up and provided stiff opposition but Hales came away with an important win and bonus point. 


Hereford 2nds V Old Hales 2nds                                                      

Report by Bob Boyd                                                                        

A strong performance by old hales forwards & backs saw old hales lead 15-0 at half time with tries from jake Hayden (2) & Jamie leach, Second half started with a fine score by church.

Converted by Dave Wakefield, then old hales pack took one against the head and a flowing backs move across the pitch saw Rees denham score, DW converted, DW then raced in for a try of his own, which he converted -hales forwards were in complete control and following strong runs from Sam jones and joe Bradley Rees denham got his 2nd try converted by DW - a change at fly half saw Alex Herbert come on and race in for a cracking g try conv DW -following a kick off return by Sam cook man of the match Rees denham raced in for his hat trick. Pete Lewis came on to take over from skipper John Harris, who had a fine game and finished off a surge by old hales forwards with a fine try- conv DW scoring was completed by Tom ?.


Old Hales 3rds v Camp Hill 2nds           Old Hales 28pts  Camp Hill 24pts      

Report by Dan Hunt                                   .             

Tries – George Taylor (2), Ben Perks, ‘Tank’ (Colt)

Conversions – Andy Tromans 4

Old Hales 3rds once again faced a 2nd team opposition. Old Hales fielded a relatively young side with a number of last year’s Colts and current Colts playing their part in a hard fought victory over Camp Hill.

From the off Camp Hill forced Old Hales into mistakes and pinned them down in their own half. Gradually the home side won more possession and moved forward with more purpose. Flanker, Gary Jones, broke through Camp Hill’s defensive line but was tackled short of the try line. From the ensuing ruck, scrum half, George Taylor, nipped through a gap to score the first try. Andy Tromans added the conversion.

Old Hales kept the pressure on and from a scrum 20 metres out, slick movement of the ball along the back line allowed centre, Ben Perks, to score close to the posts. Andy Troman’s added the extras to make the score 14-0. Camp Hill fought back and managed to score two tries to narrow the margin to 14-12.

In the second half, a kick and chase by Old Hales resulted in fly half, Jonny Kew, charging down a Camp Hill kick; the home side gained possession and pressed the Camp Hill line. George Taylor once again saw a gap in the visitor’s defence and darted over for a converted try.

Camp Hill rallied and some strong running by their back line put Old Hales on the back foot and the visitors scored two tries in quick succession to take the lead 24-21 with only 10 minutes of the game remaining.

In the last 5 minutes of the game Old Hales frantically attacked the Camp Hill line. The pressure finally paid off in the last minute of the game when substitute prop, ‘Tank’, burst over the try line from short range to score. Andy Tromans landed his fourth conversion to complete a 28-24 victory.



blog comments powered by Disqus