The Writing was on the Wall for Rednall

Bromsgrove & District Football League: 20th April 2014

Last Updated: Apr 21, 2014 09:42pm
Stoke, Bromsgrove
By Simon Burgess
Share |

Victoria Barnt Green 6 (Hall 2, May 2, Tandy, Booker), FC Rednal 1 (McGeown)
Bredon 3, Washford Lions 2 (M Rowland, S Rowland)
Rubery Athletic 3 (Morris, Neason, Court), Belbroughton Athletic 1 (Brookes)
Lickey End Social 1 (B Wright), Golden Lion Athletic Reserves 1 (Cooge)
Toby Jug Athletic 2 (Price, Collins), Hizza United Seconds 2 (Higgins 2)
Laburnum 0, AFC Northfield Reserves 0
Longbridge Athletic 3, Red Lions 1
Sporting Grapevine 9 (D'AGUILAR 3, D LAWRENCE 3, Milbourne, Fogarty, Bigby), Rubery Legends 3


A quiet Easter Sunday with only a sprinkling of games organised.
In the WA Harris Cup Semi-Final, Premier Division Victoria Barnt Green had a comfortable morning as they saw off Division 2 side FC Rednal by a 6-1 scoreline; The writing was on the wall for FCR from as early as the second minute, when a short free kick was played into Colin Tandy's feet and he swivelled to despatch a stunning 18 yard left foot strike into the back of the net which gave Julian Bellamy no chance in the visitors goal. Stu Hall put Vic two up as he bulldozed his way into the penalty area to clip home, before the game was put beyond any doubt when the quick thinking Dan Wilkes clipped a ball into the box which Shaun May despatched in confident style. Further strikes from Hall, May and a rare strike from Christian Booker made it 6 of the best, a late consolation by Sam McGeown for FCR at least gave them something to cling onto as they prepare for next weeks Bridgwater Cup Final. Having come across FCR for the first time, the Vic management team noted that FCR are a great bunch of lads, but really need to cut out the on the pitch moaning and bickering amongst themselves in order to do better. As for Vic, they are left to prepare for the final in 2 weeks time against Belbrougton Athletic from Division 1,  who whilst are no mugs on their day, will go into the match as significant underdogs to pick up the trophy and the prize money unless manager Chris Innes has a surprise or two lined up.
The other big match played today was in Division 3 where the first of two showdowns between Toby Jug Athletic and Hizza United Seconds would probably have a say in the destiny of the title. Having gone in 2-0 down at half time to strikes from Connor Collins and Dave 'Volley' Price, Hizza will be much relieved that they escaped with a point as a better second half saw super sub Tom Higgins bag a brace for a share of the spoils, this after Higgins was dropped for not turning up to the last game! All to play for as the teams are set to clash again next month, although if Toby win every league game before then, it might already be over. Toby are however showing signs of fatique after a long season so some dropped points beforehand wouldn't be a total surprise. We also had a 0-0 draw between Laburnum and AFC Northfield Reserves - Not as bad a game as the scoreline suggests and it was competitive throughout with the referee issuing four cautions. Michael Chaffatt was the Man of the Match for the away side.
In Division 2, Lickey End Social were surprisingly held to a 1-1 draw at home to Golden Lion Athletic Reserves, for whom today was a first league draw of the season. Brad Wright for Lickey End and Kai Codje for GLAR. Meanwhile in Division 1, Rubery Athletic had a fine end to the season with a nice 3-1 home win over Belbroughton Athletic. Adam Neason, Daniel Morris and Andy Court the men on target, with Jamie Brookes scoring for Belbroughton. This result means that Rubery narrowly pip Belbroughton to third place in the table on goals scored, a thrilling finale and it also means Andy Court is once again the Division1 golden boot winner.
In the Evesham Hospital Cup, there was more extra-time agony for Washford Lions who crashed out of the quarter-finals with a 3-2 defeat against Bredon. With the scores locked at 2-2 and kicks from the penalty mark looking a certainty, Washford failed to defend a corner and were dumped out as Bredon scored. Lions scorers were Stewart Roland and Matt Rowland, with the latter making his 200th club appearance! This result had all the same hallmarks of Washford's cup exit two weeks ago to the University of Worcester, in that a late lapse of concentration cost them dearly. We have had a good season in outside cup competitions though, our name and profile has certainly been raised much more than ever before and we can now look forward to the two finals our teams are in on May 4th (Toby Jug) and May 11th (Redditch United) - More details will follow in each of the next two Sunday Reports.
We also had a couple of friendly games played today - In a Division 3 friendly, Longbridge Athletic beat Red Lions 3-1, whilst Division 1 Sporting Grapevine beat Redditch League side Rubery Legends 9-3! Jason D'Augilar and Danny Lawrence with hat-tricks, one each for Rory Milbourne, Theodore Bigby and Danny Fogarty, with Fogarty and Lawrence only playing because their parent club Bromgrove United were not in action today.
Next week sees the return of the Sunday night cup final! It's the Bridgwater Cup Final between Lickey End Social and FC Rednal, a 630pm start at Bromsgrove Sporting FC - So please make an effort to come on down to support the teams and the league, especially as we bet the last couple of Sunday nights have been boring without a final to watch! We also have a long awaited Division 2 showdown between North Colts United and Washford Lions where North Colts will be champions if they avoid defeat, whilst Washford need to win their remaining 4 games to pip Colts. All good stuff and we hope you will be out in force to watch both games next week!


blog comments powered by Disqus