Tipton Town 2 - 4 Brocton

Midland Football League Premier Division

Last Updated: Mar 23, 2015 07:19pm
Penkside, Stafford
By Peter Russell
Share |

Tipton went straight into the attack and caused Brocton defence a few concerns before they settled and once they found their range Carl Morris fired in a twenty yard shot for a first goal lead on eight minutes following a long throw from Jamie Evans.

Within a further six minutes Berks lobbed the defence for Sam Bell to run onto and keeper Jack Hayfield could only parry for Bell to have a second chance and dispatch just inside the post. At this point things were looking good for Brocton but over confidence let in Tipton through defensive mistakes where the skilful Gurjit Singh was on hand to take the opportunities and by the twenty fifth minute Tipton were all square at two goals each.

Brocton were now looking very edgy and Tipton very buoyant at the turnaround in fortunes and Martin Lewis had another opportunity to take the lead but Calum Barrett in the Brocton goal came rushing out and the striker shot wide of the target. Tipton were trying to feed balls to Singh, who once in control of the ball weaved his way into the heart of the Brocton defence causing concern and havoc. At this point Tipton looked more likely to score again although Morris worked a move into a similar position when he scored earlier to fire another shot at goal but in this instance was just wide of the mark. 

The second half started with Tipton having early chances and Singh and Lewis going close with Matt Hardiman saving on the line with Barrett beaten. This appeared to produce more urgency into the play of the visitors, and with Tipton pushing up it left acres of ground behind the defence which Brocton started to exploit with Bell receiving several balls to run onto, however several chances went begging  until the sixty fifth minute, and Bell connected, which gave Brocton the lead again.

Tipton made several changes in an endeavour to recover the match and put on several front players which left Brocton defending in numbers and calling on Barrett to produce some outstanding saves to keep their lead. The game was becoming end to end with both sides looking nervy as the football intensified, but it was Brocton who received the rub of the green with a disputed penalty award which David Berks dispatched to restore Brocton’s two goal advantage.

The game was typical of a lower table tussle between teams who need the points in an endeavour to rise above the drop zone and this win eased the tension in the Brocton camp and hopefully will allow them to play their passing game in the final stages of this first league campaign at step five.

Team: C Barrett, J Evans, D Ablewhite, E Booth, M Hardiman, C Jones, C Morris, D Berks, D Lomas, G Fife, S Bell.

Used subs: P McMahon, J Edwards   

On Saturday Brocton are in action against Continental Star at Silkmore Lane whilst Brocton Reserves are away to Fairfield Villa  - both games kick off at 3pm


blog comments powered by Disqus