Tough Challenge at Table Topping Syston

Syston 50 - 5 Mansfield

Last Updated: Dec 31, 2014 08:00am
Queniborough, Charnwood
By Andy Miles
Share |

A much changed Mansfield side travelled to table topping Syston on Saturday for their final game of 2014, not the obvious way to end a five game losing run and so it proved to be. Syston were full of confidence having taken over top spot with a convincing 21-12 victory over Kettering the previous week who had themselves set the early season pace, it was never going to be an easy game but the 50-5 final score was scant reward for the Mansfield effort on the day.

To add to the visitors’ woes they then lost the toss and found themselves playing up a slight incline and into the teeth of a bitterly cold gale force wind. Coach Neil Stent had to once again reshuffle his team drafting in eighteen year old Anthony Symcox into the pack and two young flankers playing out of position on the wings but come the final whistle had nothing but praise for his young charges despite the one sided appearance of the 50-5 score line.

Syston dominated the early exchanges using their rolling maul off the five metre lineout to good effect. A Mansfield infringement only temporarily halted Syston progress, quick thinking from the home scrum half caught the blue and whites on the back foot allowing the home side to score under the posts, 7-0 after five minutes.

Most observers feared the worse but to their credit the young Mansfield XV took the game to the home side and were unlucky not restore parity with a flowing attacking which was only halted with what appeared to be a deliberate knock on with the try line beckoning. Instead the outcome was only a Mansfield scrum which the home side successfully disrupted to clear their lines. Worse was to follow as Syston were awarded another penalty and in a carbon copy of the first score doubled their advantage with twelve minutes on the clock.

The rest of the half was generally played out in the middle third of the field with Syston showing the more positive attacking intent of the two sides, countered with great team defence from the visitors. The only noteworthy event being a yellow card for the home side for what appeared from the side lines to be dangerous play. With forty minutes on the clock the match official found six minutes of stoppage time from somewhere, time for Syston to launch one last attack only halted by a superb tackle from centre Calum Wood. The half time whistle finally blew with most observers agreeing a 14-0 half time score was due reward for an excellent Mansfield effort in the conditions.

The early exchanges in the second period were scrappy and lacked any continuity with neither team threatening to take control. A three times reset scrum on fifty-five minutes resulted in a penalty for Syston as Mansfield were ruled to be offside despite the ball escaping the feet of the home eight. Yet another quickly taken penalty caught Mansfield napping allowing Syston to further extend their lead.

Worse was to follow as firstly the official adjudged the re-start had not travelled the required ten metres and then awarded a penalty to Syston from the resultant scrum. Once again Syston went quickly this time taking advantage of some uncharacteristically weak tackling from the visitors to further extend their lead to 31-0 with unofficially ten minutes left on the clock.

Once again the blue and whites rallied taking the game to the opposition and forcing a series of penalties from a retreating Syston defence. A line out five metres out gave Mansfield the opportunity to bring their own driving maul into play with Danny Ellis eventually emerging from the pile up with the ball. 

With the score at 31-5 and eighty minutes on the clock and only a couple of noteworthy stoppages most expectations were that the remaining couple of minutes would be played out in midfield, the match official however had other ideas finding a further seven minutes of playing time. Syston profited, scoring a further three tries all the result of penalties against the visitors and also a yellow card for Mansfield eight, Josh Hall. Final score a hugely disappointing 50-5.

The team now break for the festive season with Market Rasen the next visitors to Eakring Road on January 3rd. Despite the one sided feel of the score line, Head Coach Neil Stent was anything but despondent highlighting a number of positives from the game which gave hope for the New Year, you can follow the action on Twitter @MansfieldRugby. 


blog comments powered by Disqus