Two Defeats in Succession

Brocton FC

Last Updated: Oct 28, 2015 05:16pm
Penkside, Stafford
By Pete Russell
Share |

Midland Football League Premier Division

Brocton 1 AFC Wulfrunians 4

In the past Brocton have played well against Wulfrunian’s without getting the result their play deserved but today a below par performance gave the visitors an easy victory.
Player manager Dave Berks must wonder who is next for the injury list as another shuffled back line was the consequence of the long list which appears to be unsettling the team this season.
For the first quarter of an hour Brocton were taking the game to Wulfs but appeared to switch off on sixteen minutes as Jamie King nipped in to get the visitors on the score sheet. The second goal came out of the blue as a looping speculative shot from Mark Ganderton deceived keeper Callum Barrett and dropped inside the right hand post on twenty minutes.
This appeared to put a nervous edge on the play from the home side although Wulfs game plan of defending and breaking in numbers was effective and did not give Brocton any respite.
Matt Hunt got booked for an altercation with Brocton players and was immediately involved with a race for a through ball from Berks to Gary Fife, from which the Brocton centre forward dispatched his 38yh minute goal past the on rushing Dan Tipton, to give the home side some hope.
Matt Dean was active for Brocton on the right hand side but most of his efforts did not connect with the Brocton forwards.
Brocton were putting some moves together generated from the midfield of Berks, Kinsella and Holland but the visitors found another gap which they exploited on the left hand side and a telling pass to Jamie King on forty two minutes gave the forward his second goal and Brocton an uphill struggle for the remainder of the match.
Brocton started the second half with a change bringing on Paul McMahon for Josh Wilson in an effort to put more pressure on the Wulfs central defenders.
Berks worked an opening and had a shot early on but this was saved by Dan Tipton, who pushed it out for a corner. Whilst Brocton were having more of the ball they were constantly losing possession in the centre of the park and putting themselves under pressure. Wulfs were content to collect the ball and look for any willing runner to mount an attack which is what happened in the sixty sixth minute when a headed ball was flicked over defender Matt Dockerty to centre forward Richard Anslow to run between the Brocton centre halves and was then clear giving keeper Barrett no chance.
Brocton tried hard to get back into the game and were playing for pride forcing several corners, but the Wulfs defence held firm.
Charlie Jones and Dan Lomas were introduced to see if something could be salvaged but the game was lost and Barrett was needed to save from Jamie King who was after his hat-trick and Ryan Daley who fired a forceful shot which was tipped over for a corner.
Lomas had a header which went close near the end, but over- all Brocton were under par and were beaten by a competent Wulfrunian side.


Tuesday 20th October 2015
Brocton FC 1 Sporting Khalsa FC 4

This was the first meeting of the clubs in the Midland Football League and attracted the BBC cameras ahead of Khalsa’s FA Cup encounter with FC United of Manchester. As the match started it appeared that Khalsa’s players were intent on showing the TV audience how they have managed to progress so far already. The game started at a blistering pace giving the injury hit Brocton team a tough time from the beginning. Khalsa forwards Craig Bannister and Marvin Nisbett combined well and split open the Brocton defence before they had settled. Bannister opened the scoring as early as the third minute with a ball across Callum Barrett, creeping in off the keeper’s left hand post. This appeared to spur the Brocton team into action and on 9 minutes they were level. Some neat ball play in the centre of the pitch allowed David Berks to progress forward and the player manager struck the ball from twenty yards. Paul McMahon was placed handily to divert the ball over James Pemberton for the equaliser. However Khalsa continued at high tempo as if nothing had happened and were racing down both flanks, testing both Matt Hardiman and Kenny Devoir in the full back positions. They fired in telling crosses into the heart of the Brocton defence where Ed Booth and stand–in centre back Craig Holland were the busiest players on the field. From one such move Mike Nelson passed to Banister who finished superbly giving Barrett no chance for goal number two on twelve minutes. The pressure was relentless from an all action Khalsa team and goal number three arrived in the thirty second minute following a good move finished off by Michael Perks. Whilst Brocton were under constant pressure Holland and Booth stood firm. The pairing began to flourish and gave confidence to the remaining team members and prior to half time Brocton could have changed the course of the game had they taken two opportunities which fell to Paul McMahon following good crosses from Matt Dean and Josh Wilson.
The second half started at the same pace as the first and most supporters were wondering if it could be maintained at this level. Again it was Khalsa’s forward strength that was keeping Brocton defenders busy with man of the match Marvin Nesbitt giving a display of speed and skill. It was he who set up Mike Nelson to breech the Brocton defence on fifty seven minutes for the fourth goal. Brocton were awarded a free kick on sixty minutes and Booth went up into the penalty area to add height but the ball went straight into the hands of Pemberton. Khalsa were playing a high line and constantly catching the Brocton forwards off side and defenders Robinson and Campbell were out-standing, foiling the Brocton attacks. Khalsa were playing within themselves and Brocton started to spread the ball around particularly through Berks in an attempt to edge closer but the visitors were not prepared to give ground. Khalsa brought on substitute Simeon Townsend who went close but Barrett was equal to it, making a timely interception. This entertaining game came to an end and clearly Khalsa wanted a testing game before their high profile FA Cup encounter and had set a pace that Brocton found difficult to live with in the early stages.


blog comments powered by Disqus