VBGF Take Back Premier Cup Trophy

Bromsgrove & District Football League

Last Updated: Mar 30, 2015 08:23pm
Abbey, Redditch
By Simon Burgess
Share |

VBGF started the game well and had engineered their first chance inside 4 minutes; A strong run from the impressive Ryan Molesworth saw him centre and Peter Jenvey spun in the box and fired wide of Matty Talbot’s post. It was Molesworth himself on 7 minutes with the next effort on goal but to no avail. It was one traffic down the slope as VBGF poured forward, with Molesworth and the speedy Ellis Blakemore causing havoc down the right flank with their strong running and quick interplay. Ben Stanford volleyed over on 14 before VBGF goalscoring machine, Richard Bishop, scored a trademark goal; Receiving the ball into his feet inside the area, he was allowed time to turn and fire a low shot past Talbot. VBGF doubled the advantage on 24 minutes with a penalty award, Bishop making no mistake once the loud Rubery protests had died down, Rob Hurlbutt coming out of them with a yellow card. At 2-0, Rubery desperately needed a foothole in the game but none was forthcoming as VBGF dominated, Blakemore the next to dip his bread on 33 minutes but the shot flew wide. Dan Morris was the next Rubery player cautioned as Rubery struggled to stem the tide but then on 42 from nowhere, Rubery’s feared front man Andy Court scored a wonderful solo goal with a low drive after dribbling through numerous defenders and his free kick on 45 in a good position was somewhat wasted as it flew high and wide. H-T VBGF 2-1 Rubery Athletic and the 245 spectators were watching a decent match.
Into the second period and Rubery’s Chris Skinner should have perhaps done better on 53 minutes when the ball fell kindly for him at the back post but he couldn’t convert. Play went up the other end rapidly and Blakemore on 54 went close, before he grabbed VBGF’s third on 57, outpacing Ryan Brown before deftly lobbing the ball over the on-rushing Talbot for a fine finish from an increasingly influential player. On 62, it was all but game over for Rubery as Bishop completed his hat-trick from a free kick which Talbot will be disappointed went in the net. When Stanford headed wide on 67 and Bishop volleyed over on 69, it really was looking like ‘how many’, but to Rubery’s immense credit, they stuck at it and were rewarded with their own spot kick, a cast iron one at that when Stanford ended Court’s run into the box to earn himself a yellow card. Court doesn’t miss penalties and he duly scored past Chris Mole to give the underdogs a glimmer of hope. That glimmer nearly became a sparkling reality on 73, when a goalmouth scramble that pinball wizard would have been proud of saw Rubery denied, when Stanford got back to clear off the line. Further efforts from Danny Mayo and Jack Berry on 83 and 89 deserved more for Rubery and it was left to Bishop to have the last chance on 90 but Talbot was equal to his header. Final Score: VBG Fairfield 4, Rubery Athletic 2.
Before we report on Sunday’s Bridgwater Cup Final, we’ll round up the other ties which took place in the BDFL, all thankfully played despite the weather’s best attempts (again!). In the WA Harris Cup, Division 2 side Awkies Allstars safely reached through into the quarter-finals where they face a trip to Prem side Thomas Brothers, thanks to a 3-1 win over Division 3 side Bromsgrove United Reserves. Goals from Matt Forrest, the effervescent Ash Tullett and Alex Wesley did the job, Kyle Williams with the goal for the Beevers.
In the LMS Shield Quarter-Final, VBGF failed to reach the heights of Wednesday night but they still were too good for Alvechurch Lions as Richard Bishop coolly added another two to his tally for the season, one for Stuart Hall and one for Dan Cliffe too.
Premier Division action saw Hare and Hounds undertake a demolition job on Belbroughton, smashing eight past the helpless Stourbridge based side, widely seen as one of the pretenders to the Premier crown in years to come. Hounds put in a fine display and Josh Westwood led the way with a hat-trick; Luke Dugmore got two more, one for Andy Nicol, Michael Skerrett and Stephen Deeley. VBGF have SIX games in hand and if they can win all those, it will set up a tasty end of season game between the sides with ‘winner takes all’, although VBGF do need to recover a 24 goal difference which Hounds have in hand. This will be one to saviour when the time comes.
In Division 1, Woodgate Valley can’t wait for the season to end as former striker Joshua Fergusson came back to haunt them as he netted FOUR in North Colts United’s 6-0 win. Colts themselves have undergone a rough time of late and returning striker Josh Moore weighed in with a couple more! Stoke Sporting and Spa Athletic, both in the lower regions of the table, played out a 2-2 draw at Stoke Country Club. Dave Penn and Ryan Cooper had made good use of the wind to put Stoke 2-0 up before a brace from Kev Owens in the second half rescued a point for Spa. Studley Railway’s miserable post cup-final run continued as Sporting Grapevine again beat them, just 3 weeks after the Division 1 cup final. Matt Rowland and Liam Phelan for Studley, James Gasson, Jason D’Aguilar and Tom Devaney for Grapes. Studley’s reporter reckons one of the Grapes goals was a free kick which was the 23rd free kick goal conceded this season, if so, this is an astonishing stat and extra practice is needed on the training ground to resolve this! Kevin Gilbert had a great chance late onto equalise but it wasn’t to be with just six games to go for Clay Dyson’s men.
In Division 2, Bromsgrove United suffered yet another defeat, this time 5-4 against a Hizza side who can certainly play when they put their mind to it. Kyle Whiston led the way with a hat-trick, Shane Hancox and Jimmy Macdonald with the others. Golden Lion Athletic Reserves continue to endure heartbreak as they let slip a 2-0 lead to lose 3-2 against Callowbrook Blue, who warmed up for next week’s County Cup Semi with Chaddesley Corbett. Jack Florence was the hero with a brace and Matt Perry got in on the act too.
In Division 3, AFC Northfield Reserves showed great bounce-back-ability as they won 3-0 at Laburnum, this after seemingly feeling the pressure with last week’s defeat. Sam Valente, Michael Chaffatt (penalty) and an own goal (might be claimed by Ashan Thomas) did the damage on a Laburnum side who have three weeks to lick their wounds before the sides meet in the Rose Bowl Cup Final;  Laburnum have ‘pedigree’ in the competition though and an improved showing is surely on the cards in the final. Coldfield gained a morale boosting victory at Stoke Prior with a 2-1 win, Stoke ending the season on a low note; Coldfield coming from 1-0 down to win this one.
AFC Millfields were meant to play a friendly with Hewell Grangers but we don’t know if this went ahead, whilst FC Rednal’s proposed friendly with Sporting Rednal got called off after the overnight rain left the playing surface sodden.
Onto the Bridgwater Cup Final on Sunday night, between Bartley Green Illey Sunday (BGIS) and Chaddesley Corbett (CC); BGIS who had earnt a lucky reprieve to get to the final after initial opponents Bromsgrove United had been expelled after their semi-final win for playing an ineligible player, made the most of their opportunity by winning an entertaining game 5-3 to lift the club’s first ever silverware. As per last week’s final, the two teams got out of the blocks quickly and the 175 spectators were treated to four goals inside the opening 15 minutes. CC opened the scoring with only 101 seconds on the clock as Rocco Mitchell’s left hand side corner was headed home by Damian Ash, with Dan Taylor helping the ball over the line on the way. On 6 minutes, BGIS got back into it when a rare flap by CC keeper Chris Crook, saw the ball drop kindly to returning striker Colin Tandy who slotted home from 8 yards. On 8 minutes, BGIS were amazingly in front as fine right hand side wing play, aided by a brilliant advantage from Referee Croy, saw Danny Lawrence on cue to side foot the ball home at the back stick. The lead lasted little more than 6 minutes though as on 14, CC were back level; Last week’s hero, Dan Mroczkowski, galloped onto a fine through ball by Ash to power a right foot shot past the helpless Aaron Collins. CC could and perhaps should have been ahead on 22, when Nathan Steward (who worked tirelessly up front all night) was put through by Louis Teague only to see his shot come back off the far upright.  BGIS were not put off by CC getting a foothole in the game and Tandy sent a 29th minute free kick in but it missed the target. On 35 minutes, BGIS missed a glorious chance to score; Tandy again at the thick of things and his deft knock down saw Lawrence scoop the ball over the top when he needed to get his head over the ball to almost certainly guarantee a goal. The half ended with efforts from both Steward (CC) and Strevens (BGIS) but there were no more goals. H-T BGIS 2 CC 2.
Into the second half and BGIS were first to make their intentions clear for the period as Strevens looping cross deceived everyone and hit the bar. CC’s first effort of the half came when Steward broke loose on 57 and fired at Collins who was equal to the task. CC legend Kenny Ash, playing in this game in his early 60’s (the oldest player to ever play in a BDFL final), was then substituted but he had played well and didn’t look a back number at all. BGIS re-gained the lead on 63 when Stephen McGlen rifled home from 20 yards which had too much power for Crook. With all the action becoming congested in the middle of the park, chances were now few and far between, with CC perhaps starting to wilt as their much changed side began to run out of energy. They could have equalised on 76 though, Steward set up Mroczkowski but his tame effort ran into Collins’s grateful arms who must have thought he would be bending over to pick the ball out of the net yet again. BGIS sealed their victory with late goals on 83 and 85, Strevens and Tandy the men who netted which allowed the yellow/black ribbons to get draped on the cup, later presented by members of the Bridgwater family. The fun and games wasn’t finished there though as CC keeper Chris Crook then took centre stage and scored what must be the goal of the season and certainly the best goal ever seen in a BDFL cup final. With CC winning a free kick some 25-30 yards out, Crook who had been up for a corner, stepped forward and absolutely creamed home a scorching right foot drive which flew into the top right hand corner of the net at a rate of knots, leaving Collins nothing more than a standing admirer; The strike drew applause from all areas of the ground, it was truly world class and blew any previous free kick tekkers by Matthew Guise out of the water, although the cultured left back will surely not mind stepping aside! Crook is surely set for some national acclaim with his effort already having gone ‘viral’.  A cracking end to our fourth final, with both sides showing a lot of mutual respect for each other and there is every chance they could yet face each other in the County FA Minor final at the start of May. Full Time BGIS 5 CC 3
Onto April and we have some corking fixtures for you next Sunday. Two LMS Shield semi-finals, including the next instalment of VBGF v Hare and Hounds, as well as two County FA Minor cup semi-finals. Awkies Allstars v Sporting Rednal in Division 2 will also be a tough encounter, so if you haven’t got a game next Sunday, eat some of your Easter Egg early doors then get out to watch one of the games; Alternatively, sit back and wait for us to report all the action next Sunday!  

Video: Chaddesley Corbett FC goalkeeper scoring in Sunday's cup final - Best goal ever seen in a BDFL final.


Division 2 Sporting Rednal sensationally dump out the two times WA Harris Cup Final holders and Premier Division side VBG Fairfield

Bromsgrove United 3 (Bullimore, Hegarty, Quaynor), BGIS 1 (George)
Arrow Valley 0, Awkies Allstars 5 (Ryan 2, K O'Connell, Ash Tullett, OG)
VBG Fairfield 1 (Bishop), Sporting Rednal 2 (Caveney, Gardner-Bennett)

Vic Barnt Green Reserves 3 (C Thurbon 2 x unknown), Studley Railway 1 (David)

Hare and Hounds 10 (J HICKEY 3, Morrison 2, Farrell, Glaze, Westwood, I Hickey, L Dugmore), Thomas Brothers 0
Belbroughton Athletic 2, AFC Northfield 1

Rubery Athletic 1 (Davies), Alvechurch Lions 2

Sporting Grapevine 4 (Fogarty 2, Gasson, Cooper), Stoke Sporting 1 (Cooper)
Chaddesley Corbett 7, AFC Millfields 0
Hizza United Seconds 2 (McHugh 2), Callowbrook Blue 0

Stoke Prior 0, Bromsgrove United Reserves 1 (Young)
Stoke Sporting Reserves 1, Laburnum 3 (Hancock, A Seager, Sproston)



blog comments powered by Disqus