Walsall Wood 0 - 0 Brocton

Midland Football League Premier Division

Last Updated: Feb 9, 2015 05:22pm
Penkside, Stafford
By Andy Foster
Share |

After a couple of blank Saturday’s caused by the weather the Badgers returned to action with a goal-less draw at Walsall Wood. However this was no boring game of packed defences and midfields, but an end to end affair with both teams having good chances in open play, both with decent penalty shouts and to keep the spectators amused, even a referee who was unfortunate to take part in play on no fewer than three occasions.

The first glimmer of a chance came almost from the kick off when Leon Taylor let a ball skim his head as he tried to deceive Calum Barrett. Barrett was not fooled and held easily. Dave Ablewhite came to the rescue in Wood’s next attack, getting an important touch for a corner when a low cross from Corey Carrithers threatened the away goal. It was Carrithers again moments later who cut back for Ben Evans, but his shot found a well placed Barrett.

Brocton had not been idle in between those Wood attempts either. First Sam Bell picked up a weak clearance and chose to run at goal. Home keeper Mario Kisiel made up for his              clearance with a fine save. Then Gary Fife found Paul McMahon just outside Wood’s box. He turned and shot but could not keep his effort down. McMahon was involved again after a Bell run and cross on the right had Kisiel scrambling to palm away and Carl Morris returned the ball just beyond McMahon’s touch. 

Then came the first penalty claim. Bell had gone free again on the right and was tripped. Despite Brocton claims it was inside the box the assistant referee judged it to be just outside. Dave Berks hit the free kick well but again, just over and moments later found Ed Booth with a corner and this time it was Booth’s header that cleared the bar.

The half had been end to end and apart from the lack of scoring it could easily have been a basketball match. Ex Badgers favourite Joe Pickering came close to having the decisive say on the stroke of half time when turning over a cut back from the lively Carrithers.

Brocton sent on substitutes Jack Edwards and Dan Lomas to replace Charlie Jones and Paul McMahon for the second half, but it was the home side which started at the greater pace and Taylor saw an early shot graze the outside of a post before finally getting the ball into the net only to realise that he had already been given off side.

With Carl Morris in particular harrying in midfield for Brocton, there were plenty of chances for breaks from forced errors. Jack Edwards and Fife combined to put Berks through on goal, but it was one of those days. His shot found the net, but it was outside of the post. Bell had two more chances, one with a run from deep which ended with a shot straight at Kisiel and another with a shot from distance which went over the bar. His third effort had him running right at the heart of the defence and only a timely tackle at the last moment did enough to force his shot wide.

A final Berks free kick was met by the normally prolific Fife as he found space at the back post, but he too missed the target and honours remained even.

Brocton: Calum Barrett, Calum Rudd, Dave Ablewhite, Ed Booth, Matt Hardiman, Charlie Jones, Paul McMahon, Carl Morris, Sam Bell, Dave Berks, Gary Fife. Used Substitutes: Dan Lomas, Jack Edwards.


On Saturday Brocton have a tough test when they travel to face title chasers Coleshill Town whilst Brocton Reserves are at home to Droitwich Spa. Both matches kick off at 3pm

Photo: File pic


blog comments powered by Disqus