Wolverhampton Casuals 4 - 1 Brocton

Staffordshire Senior Cup Round 1

Last Updated: Oct 13, 2016 09:58pm
Penkside, Stafford
By Pete Russell
Share |

Tight marking and a high press from the home side made life difficult for Brocton from the outset although an early chance came for Connor Leek as he darted into the box, only to be denied by a brave and alert home keeper dropping on the ball at his feet. A free kick taken quickly soon had Brocton on the back foot but the shot was side footed wide. Then Charles Weston-Hayles was through the back line with only the keeper to beat but was deemed to have gone too soon and given off side.

Casuals continued to look dangerous on the break and worked hard to deny their visitors any space or time when in possession, but a free kick for Brocton looked to provide a good opportunity for Dominic Dell, whose shot through the wall was well saved. That was soon followed by Brocton’s most coherent attack, all down the right flank. It led to a chance on the stretch for Weston-Hayles and the shot flashed over.

A Josh D Wilson corner was headed down by Dell and scooped off the line and a repeat of the earlier attack down the right found Weston-Hayles again, but this time his lunged shot was blocked and the break left Brocton back pedalling.

It led to a corner and a delicate header at the near post from Lewis Cooper beat Aidan Stone for the lead 

Weston-Hayles was caught with a tackle in Brocton’s next attack and had to be replaced by Paul McMahon and while Brocton were reorganising Casuals struck again. A deflected shot hit the bar but the respite was short lived as Brocton’s defence looked rocked and out of shape. Jay Holdcroft took full advantage with a shot from the edge of the box. The half finished with a beauty of a cross from Leek which Dell met, but could not this time keep his header down.

A spirited start to the second half saw Luke Wright finish off with a header in after good pressure in the box and Brocton were back in the game, but that glimpse of hope did not last long as fortune favoured Harry Cunningham and Casuals. Cunnigham had done well down the right but his shot was straight at Stone and the keeper was unlucky to see it bounce down and into the net.

Brocton mounted a series of runs down the right through Matt Dean. His crosses threatened but were well enough defended and his best and closest approach saw him straining to keep his feet under pressure from three defenders. Having rather harshly been yellow carded earlier when he did go down, he dare not do so again.

Substitute Dan Stokes finished off the game with a side foot shot with the final whistle in touching distance.


Brocton: Aidan Stone, Kenny Devoir, Adam Robinson, Ben Taylor, Luke Wright, Josh D Wilson, Matt Dean, Dan Lomas, Charles Weston-Hayles, Dominic Dell, Connor Leek.


Used Substitutes: Paul McMahon, Ryan Davies, Callum Head.

PHOTO: File pic


blog comments powered by Disqus